Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tuesday's Things...........


One iris refused to die when its stalk was broken by hail.  The joy of the problem is that I can watch them open up its blooms in the house while in a vase.  I also can get more shots from it. 


The season is so confused this year that a lot of things are just now blooming and other plants are not starting their flowering stage.  I was surprised to see the spirea looking so great.  My poor garden needs a gardener as their are little trees popping up through them everywhere. Thus I couldn't show you the whole length of five shrubs in a row. I have told myself that the gardener will take an area at a time and rectify the problems in the garden.  It just isn't going to happen over night and I can pace it one problem at a time.  I did want you to take note of how lush we are in Iowa right now as you see the area where the neighbor has yet to mow the grassed in area in one part of his yard. It looks to 6 or more inches tall with plenty of weeds growing in it. 


I am waiting on this tree to see what it is going to do.  This is my redbud tree.  It looks dead but the branches don't snap off as dead.  I guess it is waiting for some full days in a row with the  warm sunny days.  I hope that I can give you a comparison shot soon.  The pin oaks did finally shoot out some leaves and the ash tree in the back is just now putting out small leaves.  I thought I had lost them to our severe cold.


I was told by Far Side of Fifty to wait and see.  I did wait and you can see this dead looking rose is alive.  Three others are not pretending to revive but this one was closer to the house and was blanketed with many leaves.  From past experience this rose is not on a stock root so it will be blooming again. I see I need to get some clippers out and clean up all the dead leftovers.

I have small projects that I will tackle today.  I have morning glory seeds soaking in warm tea water to get them ready for planting.  I am going to plant them in a window box size planter here next to the house and as they mature and I am stronger I will take them out to the trellis by the garden shed. I may do two planters and also have one next to the trellis on the side porch.

I did plant one lone tomato in a patio pot yesterday and it really needs some hot sunshine. I may plant a couple more tomatoes in pots for the patio.  I haven't talked to the neighbor about her tomatoes that she planted so early in spring, but I bet she has to replant most of them.  I plan to poke holes in the ground with a hoe handle in order to plant a bunch of sunflowers.  I saw a Amish woman who put whole heads of seed out on here feeder in the winter. I don't think I need to prepare the soil for a sunflower as they are more like a weed when they get to growing.

I think I am totally done sub teaching as I called in to say that it just wasn't even a possibility at this point of time.  I do need to return to pick up  senior photos composite materials.  They hire us each year to create a composite to go into the archive display of past graduates. I don't know why they were so slow getting the photos together. If they are slow then we won't worry about ever meeting a deadline on it. We already missed graduation.  We will work on it during the month of June.

I am eating normal things now and walking.  I am better.  I will not rush what I can't control anyway.  People who see me rushing and working fast in the past don't know that I am feeling like a 100 year old man.  I think I have moved back to a 80 year old man this morning.  It would be nice to feel better and younger than 65 years old but most of you know I won't be doing that. I wish everyone well this morning and thanks.........for stopping by today. 


6 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, dear! I've been catching up on your posts and all the beautiful pictures and now I find you've been sick. But I'm glad to hear you're better now. As you wisely say, don't rush what you can't control.

Anonymous said...

Thankful you are some better. I woke very early today and prayed for you and your wife.
These sure are pretty photos. John and I feel about 100 yrs old too. Our muscles are really sore!

God bless your afternoon/evening.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

So sorry to read you have been poorly, I hope you are on the mend !
Our beautiful Butterfly bush is just now showing signs of life. Normally at this time of the year, it is covered in leaves, but we thought it was a goner...
The winter has taken a toll on lots of plants and shrubs, lets keep our fingers crossed they have the will to return.
Feel better friend.
~Jo

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Larry, i have missed reading blogs for awhile because with warm weather there have been so many outdoor projects to do. But tonight I did some catching up and was sorry to read about your very severe allergy attack and then to read that you are improving, but still not at 100 percent. I know what you mean about it sometimes taking longer to feel better, the older we get. Both Pat/Grenville and myself are at the same age as yourself. We find we can't do the same things as fast as we did 10 years ago

The Furry Gnome said...

Ya, I feel 80 when I'm only 65 too...

Far Side of Fifty said...

My roses look iffy..I will have to be patient too! I am glad you are feeling better, take care of yourself:)