Friday, December 7, 2018

Friday’s Finale.......


I just needed to get the job done.  I had the President’s funeral on tv, the computer sat close by, and the small ornaments all needed to be hung.  I can put the hangers on all 12 of them while doing two other things. They were hung in minutes once all the hangers were attached.

The three foot tree is on the dresser and the mirror reflection tends to distort the visual of things.  The small tree was my first original idea to put all of my glass-blown ornaments on their own tree.  The number of ornaments increased and the larger ones ended up on a bigger tree and this one remained for the smallest of the decorations.  I put the above new ones on this tree.
This is an example of the smaller ornaments on the small tree. I have a lot of the really small ones as they do not sell so well are are always put on a great sale after Christmas.

My wife’s small antique pinecone ornament is the reason why I started to collied the smaller ones.  The pinecone here dates back at least forty years or probably more. It is a design of the oldest early glass blown ornaments.

It is a tradition now for me to show the lady penguin.  She has her two purses and pink scarf.  I also like the lipstick and the ear muffler. Next to her is an ornament that I bought in Omaha, Nebraska at the Crossroads Mall. I was just built in the early 70s and I bought a replica antique batch of these in a kitchen store. I distinctly remember that the Nebraska Cornhuskers football game was on as it was in every store in the mall. It was the heyday time for the Big Red team. I still have about six of these different old fashioned shaped ornaments. Little did I know then that I would be a collector of them as I think the tree at the time was covered with all red ornaments with yellow gingham bows.


I bought one more tree today but not for the indoors.  I am going to use it outdoors next to my two ornamental gold deer.  They seemed lonely  out there without a tree keeping them company.  I have the lights on the tree already as it is only a short three foot artificial tree.  I have bricks on it to keep it from blowing over in the wind.

My trip to buy and mail a birthday card in our town took me an hour and a half.  We are a big city and I clocked the trip home from the post office being six miles.  I did stop at the bank and Krispy Creams along the way.  I did have to pick up some lights for my wife’s project and then I had to struggle to find the post office.  We have three major roads going north and south and I got onto the wrong one.  I did find the post office once I got off of Highway 69 and moved over to the Ankeny Boulevard which is 2nd street that goes all the way down through Des Moines .  I found the north end of town high school and the post office sits across the street from it.

I am glad we live in the farthest southwest corner of our city.  There sure is a whole lot of city out there.  John Deere is up there, the reason for the city’s first existence after the coal mines had shut down.  The second high school is up there north of us too. Major business are being built now in the north end of town as they are close to the Interstate and also closer to Ames where the Iowa State University is. I do think eventually Ames and Ankeny will be continue city all the way down to Des Moines.

Thanks for stopping by today.  We are sunny today and extremely cold.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Larry, Your trees are looking good:)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Larry, I enjoyed seeing your trees and reading about the ornaments. I can't recall my family ever having ornaments on our Christmas tree when I was growing up. My father was an electrician so we had plenty or lights and back then it was the large ones, not the small ones or leds out now. We also had a lot of tinsel on the tree and it was hand removed and stored until the next year. Too bad the post office is such a drive in traffic. Thankfully, I can walk to the one here in downtown Nashua, NH. I did that today as the parking lot gets crowded with cars waiting to pull in.