Saturday, March 2, 2024

Flowers and Things....


 

The bouquet had a lot of different kinds of flowers in it.  The yellow roses are small ones ut have a good strong color.

 


 My wife's painting hangs in our sun room year round.  The painting reminds me of the wonderful iris blooms will be coming in four or five months.  That iris is one that blooms in the middle of the iris blooming season. 



My wife's dad would go to auctions near us on Saturday's.  He would find a box of many things from an estate and bid on it.  He would bid on it for just one item and then give the rest to us. In one of those boxes were five or six of these plates. It's pattern is called Indian Tree.  MYOTT, Fine Staffordshire Ware, Indian Tree ia written on the back. Some of these were made with a pattern on the outside rim and the plate was a different shape. I read that they were made in large quantities in the late 1800"s. through the 1940s. We were surprised to see the pattern of dishes in a house museum that we visited in Denver years ago. It was a similar pattern and said to be an everyday dish. We use ours often whenever we have Chinese food or sometime just because they are pretty. I am amused as to how the factory works blotted the glaze colors onto the flowers with out much artistic flare. 


My first experience of buying antique dishes started back in 1973. I had an old walnut antique table and was collecting old things of all kinds.  I was at an auction at a house in Coin, Iowa.  I spotted this box full of the family china.  I got it for six dollar and the pattern is call Mildred. A few years later I was at an antique store in Osceola, Iowa and found another batch of them that were in better shape.  Ironically, I ran across a site that is based on people who collect this dinnerware. The Love of Mildred is active with people sharing all of their finds at flea markets and such places. We don't use ours so much as we have acquired newer sets as the years go by. We have the Blue Willow dishes and a couple different patterns of Pfaitzgraff dishes. My wife also has her late mother's plates and sauces that we use often.  We rotate our patterns in relation to how we are feeling for the meal. 

We are having a warm 60's day today. It is nice to have sunshine and yet the wind does cool it off a bit. Thanks for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Early Happy 🎂Birthday wishes, Larry, and hope you have a wonderful year and a nice day of celebration as well. Sorry, your major event missed being included in the list of March events in my recent post. The antuque dishes were certainly more interesting than many of the patterns or non patterns of now.

Val Ewing said...

I love odd and beautiful old plates. My father and grandmother had quite a few of the old depression era glass dishes that I admired.

These are so beautiful!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Pretty flowers and dishes! I always remember our blog friend Mildred with that pattern of dishes:)