Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday, Monday,,,,,

A few years back I bought this neat cloth windsock that had a koi painted on it in an way that resembled a Japanese painting. It was neat and then I washed it in the laundry a couple of weeks ago. The cloth windsock became Swiss cheese. I had bought it at a toy store at the Canal Park area in Duluth, Minnesota. I was there a few days ago and this is the best I could do. It actually is a trout. It doesn't have the artist ambiance or integrity that the cloth one had, but I can live with it. I will move it to my backyard next to my fish ponds and try to forget about the wonderful one that I use to have.

I have been talking with my neighbors and I have decided this is the year for tomato leaves and just a few tomatoes. Our rains have caused our tomato plants to be three feet high or more and they have just a few blooms on them. I had given a neighbor some of my seedling plants and she had tomatoes forming a least two weeks ago and her plants are in the sun most all of the day. Mine are not the but the heat does help them. I am just now seeing this development. We are back to 80 degrees today so we may see the fruit set on more quickly now.

In my Van Memorial garden the zinnia's and bachelor buttons are getting close to being showy. In another week I will be proud of it's many colors and show you the whole garden area.
I have a lot of work to do to share our experiences in Duluth. I will be showing the fun things we did but I have Monday, Monday blues. I just will go mow my yard and pull a few weeds and maybe in the afternoon I can get some pictures edited and ready to go. I have a few more Asiatic lilies to show, new ones, but I am sure you are flowered out of sight with these things. I never intended to be solely a garden blogger, even though I like to follow garden blogs. I need to change to some new themes. I will be sharing about an antique store I saw the other day. I could have danced through that store all day. That is another day, another story. Thanks for reading......

7 comments:

Unknown said...

My brother taught me how to prune tomatos several years ago. He said too much foliage takes away from the fruit. There are videos on the net that shows you how. We've had so much rain and mine are so big that I've pruned them twice already. I have several tomatos but they are still green.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Some years it seems the tomatoes don't do great here, but they're never ready this early in the summer. I've seen quite a few blogs that have ripe tomatoes already. Hope yours get growing for you.

L. D. said...

I absolutely have never pruned tomatoes, but I have never had the time before to do so. That is a great idea. I know some of those branches are never going to develop blooms and fruit. Thanks for the info. I just discovered that I had a bunch of Romas that are developed half grown. They were hiding for me to have a pleasant surprise.

Erin said...

Our neighbor has TONS of tomatoes on each of her three plants. There are at least 10 on one of them...amazing.

L. D. said...

They probably bought those ten dollar plants that were in big pots and started months before the normal season. It gives them a great head start.

The Retired One said...

our tomatoes are just blooming now too....
We didn't buy anything at Canal Park, but we did go to Gramma's for good food....and the sky was all dark and moody...got some great photos of that lighthouse...did you walk out to it???

L. D. said...

Yes we did. I will post a picture or two and you should do so too.