Monday, February 22, 2010

A fish tail or two....

I have dug into my old folders and found some more fish pictures. I need to take more new ones and will. It is a busy life. These two comet goldfish live in my 55 gallon tank in the basement. They spend their summer outside in a stock tank buried in the ground. I don't even try to overwinter them outside anymore. 
I discovered a specs label was covering the tripod hole on my camera so I will take the tripod down and work the fish more with new photos soon.


A surrealistic view of the tank. Two koi in the tank following the large goldfish.  This is an old photo as the gold and black koi is bigger than the other koi in the tank.


As I have told in older blogs that I will not buy an expensive koi.  Five dollars is my top price and I will only buy when I see one that reminds me of a koi with traditional markings.  The gold koi is covered with metalic color as the white one with mottled colors has just a little metallic reflection.

My experiences of learning range from having new ones leap out of the coverless tank and commit suicide, to having a very large one freeze in my outside pond.  I swore off having any koi for awhile as new ones had leaped to their death and I was mad at myself for letting that happen.  I felt I was too stupid to own koi if I couldn't remember to cover the tank.  I think all life is too valuable,  even fish life, that people shouldn't be careless or not responsible owners. 

Our snowstorm went south so we escaped a few more inches of snow.  It will be spring soon everybody, think spring, and maybe we can see green again.  Thanks for reading......

6 comments:

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

We had the same experience with the only koi we ever spent more that $7 or so on. It jumped right out and eventually died even though we rescued it rather quickly. My favorite cheap koi was eaten by a heron a couple of months ago. I love they Comets, they are so tough and fun to watch.

The Retired One said...

I wish I could have a pond outside with koi, I think they are really neat. I am watching a PBS show on TV right now about snakes and they said a lot of them eat koi out of outside ponds!! Be careful!

David - Pinewood Cottage said...

Larry - we have a golfish pond outside in the side yard. We put about 20 cheap walmart comets in the pool. After a year or two there were about a hundred swirling round and round the oval. Then... a racoon moved in the neighborhood. My neighbor caught it in his attic - he said it was the largest racoon he had ever seen. I guess so - he ate a fish stick meal three times a day - now i have two or three fish left. they must all be the same sex - i have not seen any population growth.

Rae said...

I didn't know Koi jumped like that. It would be awful to find one out of the water and it would upset me too. We have a local garden pond that has goldfish in it every summer. I love to visit and watch them. It is relaxing.

The Great Ethan Allen said...

I used to have a lot of fish. And I love Koi. But the same thing happened to me as with David. A raccoon came and ate all our outside ones! I was LIVID! Since then. not more wasting time and money on fish. It's too bad too becasue they are beautiful!

Gigi Ann said...

I know nothing about Koi and how to care for them. When I was a youngster, we had a goldfish or two, and recently I had a Betta a time or two, but both of them only lived for about a year and a half and they died. So I've decided no more fish for me.