Monday, February 15, 2010

Sleigh Bells Ring, Are You Listening.......


Some of my bloggers friends didn't know what these are so I will give a short explanation.  When the horses were harness up to take sleighs out in the snow, they would be draped with straps of leather with these bells attached to them.  If you have ever seen the Budweiser Beer ads and listened to the sound of the horses, you can hear the bells jingling.  The bells were given numbers for their different sizes.  In this photo you are seeing the number 11 upside down. On the other half of that part of the bell is "No." for the word number.


Vinegar and salt along with a very fine steel wool cleans brass.  My first experience with brass was when I was a kid.  I took home two fixtures from my grandmother's house that  had benn removed to put up modern ceiling lights.   They were black and as a kid finding brass that was shinier and more yellow than what the bells have, was just an amazing experience.  As I grew up and moved away, my dad gave them away, and I have forgiven him for that. 



Some of the bells are more worn than others but the line designs are still visible in this bell. It has a few cracks in it but still jingles with a good sound.



You can see the numbers on the larger ones but two of them do not have any markings even though they have the same designs and were made probably by the same company.




I won't remove the wire. That is just something I like to keep around. Some person for some reason put this S shaped wire into the bell for a reason, and even though it is rusty I want it to stay. It gives it more history.


Flowers for you, to thank you for putting up with my obsessive blog about bells.  The paperwhites do have a smell that you have to learn to tolerate after while.  I liked the smell at first but it is not at all so friendly anymore.  Our new dining room wall made a perfect backdrop for these flowers.  It is funny how the all sprouted up at different heights.  Maybe they got watered more on one side.  


Thanks for stopping by......

6 comments:

The Retired One said...

Loved the bells and the bulbs. :-}

Gigi Ann said...

...in the lane snow is glistening,..

The bells and the history made an interesting post today. I don't think I would ever tire of the smell of the flowers. But, I don't know since I never had them in the house. But, I like the smell of them outdoors.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Aaaah I am a lover of bells also. Yours are just gorgeous!
It was always my job to clean the harness and tack, when I was entered into a horseshow. The Clydesdale's wore these around their harness, they sounded spectaular.
The bulbs are a welcomed change to snow....so pretty.

Sunny said...

Great sleigh bells. I used to have a leather strap with them hanging on the door, you always knew when someone was coming in.
The Paperwhites are so pretty. They make my husband sneeze!
More snow here today, coming down quite heavy right now. I'm really tired of it.
Sunny :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

I love the bells too..they looked beautiful to me even when they were gunky! There is something in the deep recesses of my brain about the ones that are not stamped with a number...If I recall it..I will come back..getting old ya know:)

David - Pinewood Cottage said...

Larry - what cool bells! i can't imagine the sound.

I say get those stinky narcissius out of your house - before it's too late. I remember a story of a bride that slept in the room with her wedding flowers in her bedroom the night before her wedding - the next morning she was ... well you know! They are difinitely an outside flower in my book.