Friday, February 26, 2010

Mistaken identity.........


I paid for a shubunkin goldfish. It was in a tank with koi, shubunkins and fantails. It was about the same price so I didn't cheat Walmart.  I am not so sure that it might be a koi. It doesn't have the catfish-like whiskers on it, but I don't think the young ones do until they mature.  I really think the reflective gold on this fish makes it more like a koi, now that I see it more closely.  

The only way to know is to watch it grow.  If it actually gets larger than it is now by 2 to 3 times larger, it will be a koi.  If it doesn't grow much larger,  it is a shubunkin.  For this very reason, it is nicer to shop a places where the working force is knowledgeable about the fish in their tanks. It will be a nice mistake though if is a koi.


This guy is hard to photograph. He wiggles when he swims as that is how his fins are designed. It is almost like a wagging motion of the back tail to propel itself forward. They are always moving and don't soar like a streamed-lined fish. 


I haven't named either fish. I just don't name them. My kids at school always wanted to name the fish when I was teaching.  I never let them know that kids in different class had given them different names. They loved to come in and speak to Charley and Sophia and the next group would come in and call them Spotty and Sweetie.


When I set up an aquarium, I like to use natural looking materials so that it looks like the real thing. When I had my large tank set up, I used river rock from my driveway and rocks from the Minnesota shoreline.  Plastic plants are the only way for me though, as I can't put up with the expensive plants not growing or the koi eating them.

So, when you see this tank, it is my son's set up.  He has a great looking sunken ship and the rocks are natural ones, but the small rocks are neon colors.  Wow, it is bright and colorful and something I have never done before now.  His tank was ready for the grabbing and all I had to do was add water.  It actually makes me smile as I miss the son who lives in Maine, so it is like a bright sunny smile when I see it.   I have some closeups of the rock that I will post for my Photo a Day blog.  It is almost like looking at candy.

The tank cheers me up as I see the fish swimming around freely and it makes my day seem warmer. I really didn't need to add more s to feed around here but I am glad that I have it here now.

Take care out there all of you who are having snow storms again.  I hope everyone can stay safe and warm. Thanks for stopping by........

9 comments:

Rae said...

I can't tell one goldfish from another. They all look the same to me, but I love watching them. It is mesmerizing watching them swim back and forth effortlessly. I like a natural looking tank too. Too much neon and artificial stuff detracts in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Great that you are enjoying the fish and fond memories of your son. Like Rae says, they are mesmerizing to watch.

I have to confess......I must be hungry; when I saw the little photo on blog reader of the fish I first thought it was a slice of cheesecake!!!

The Great Ethan Allen said...

I think you are right that it is a shubunkin. The barbels are a dead givaway, If you ever pick up a simple comet goldfish, believe it or not they have barbels as well. s well as most fish in the "minow" family (I was a fisheries biologist....for a while anyway) Then again, i will proabbly look pretty bad if it does turn out to be a koi. Thos butterfly koi with the big fan tail and long fins look a lot alike shubunkins. The goldfish should have a (really) small one just inside their premaxilary. ( the little top lip) If you open their mouth, you shoudl see a little goose bump like barble. Aren't fish the coolest things?

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I wouldn't know a Koi from a goldfish, despite having both.
It's always fun and relaxing to watch them swimming around, though it takes a lot of time and effort, keeping the tanks perfectly balanced.
I used to have three fish in the pond, but they became Racoon food ;(

L. D. said...

I looked around on the internet and it is a shubunkin. It came from Japan also but the little koi have those front whisker things when very young.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like watching fish, it is very relaxing..someday when I get to the home, I will be the one to sit next to the fish tank for entertainment:)

Valerie said...

I can't tell the difference but that fish looks great. You have made me yearn to have my aquariums back, complete with fish of course. I used to like watching the live bearers give birth.

The Retired One said...

I love seeing fish...these were great!

Shrinky said...

Ever since we acquired two fish tanks in our kitchen (one with tropical, one with seven goldfish), my youngest refuses to eat fish at the breakfast bar, she claims it would traumatise them too much!

Grest pics!