Monday, February 8, 2010

Monday Mania.....

I needed to get the job done.  I went to the basement, found some scrap wood, and made a temporary roof for my tray bird feeder.

It is a temporary fix as it should be a pyramid shape roof that will shed the snow as a blogger friend suggested.  



So far it is scary to most of the birds. I have one brave soul on the feeder, but they will get brave. A harsh wind will blow it off so I may go get a brick from the basement and weigh it down.


At the hanging feeder, the birds line up on the mock orange bush to scout out some space to land.

 


 Blue jays being who they are usually scatter everyone and don't share.



The cardinal seems to be a peaceful bird as they are so easy for the other birds to get along with at the feeder. I have a similar picture of this blogged earlier somewhere. This is a new photo that shows the snow coming down in large fluffy feather-like shapes.

Thanks for stopping in........

Oh yes, I have an Ebay experience to share soon.  I didn't win of course!!!! 
Ok, I am wrong, I gambled and won it for way too much money. Oh well, living life is a learning experience, I will share later.

8 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

At least you have the feeder covered, stopping the snow, and allowing them a little feeding time.
When the weather is warmer, you can build a slanted roof, and install it over the other.
Ebay.....oh dear I'm trying to give it up ;)

Rae said...

Your roof is creative. I have miserable success trying to cover my tray feeders. Like your birds, mine are afraid of the roof. They sit and watch but won't come near to eat. I relent and remove the protective cover. Nice photo of the woodpecker visiting at the suet feeder.

David - Pinewood Cottage said...

Isn't that funny that they don't trust it - they will come around.

The Retired One said...

I am so jealous that you had a Cardinal and that gorgeous woodpecker in one shot together! They are gorgeous!!

Rosaria Williams said...

That's a great solution. Do keep it tied down or you'll be feeding squirrels too.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Great idea to make a snow roof! You've got some really colorful visitors there. I bet they love the supply of food there!

Alan Burnett said...

My goodness, I go away for a few weeks and come back to find you building a temple of a bird-feeder. It's good to be back

OiseauBird said...

So beautiful your pictures, Cardinel and bluejay
and what a good job your feeder