Monday, September 20, 2010

Dink's Taxi Restaurant.........


I have shared a similar visual of this place in Bar Harbor, but I am returning now to show some closeups. I would have loved helping put this pieced decorated portico on this building.  Brackets and mouldings are cool and I like working with them.  Notice the starburst decoration above inside  the triangle of the pediment.


Some people just have porch ceilings but this thing reminds me of an old movie house with the lights and the painted sky scene.


The whole car body is not up there. I didn't really know until I saw this photo.  Cool brackets and the small column made from a halved porch railing was effective.


The windows makes me believe it was a church but I can't figure out how all these building got built around it in such close spaces. Buildings butted up to it within six feet or less on two sides and the door to the building was down an alley between two buildings.


More brackets, mouldings on the fascia and a cool entry door. The moulding and brackets had special painted effects on each piece.

We did not go inside but that gives us an excuse to go back one more time, maybe next year.   We did eat at one restaurant that our son later told us was considered to have bad food.  I guess that is why we got in so easily, but the meal was great for us.  Stuffed fish filets with crab dressing and cheese sauce.

As the cool weather is setting in around us I am going to be more rushed to get my outside work done.  I need to work on my own house on the outside and hope that some warm days come back.  We bought the kitchen flooring material today for the parents house and will try to get that done this week. I hope all of you are doing well and everyone is safe and warm.  Those in the far south I guess do not have to worry about that.   Take care and thanks for stopping by..........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this building. The architectural details are amazing. Best wishes with the kitchen flooring. I hope you'll still have some nice days to finish up your yard work. John said to tell you the crab dressing sounds delicious to him!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What a unique building, it's just filled with architectural eye-candy ;)
At first I thought it was a Ripley Believe it or Not Emporium !
We'll be up in the 90's today, I'll try and send some of it in your direction ....

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting detail all over this building..a one of a kind for sure! :)

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Hello Larry, I showed these to my hubby Ray and he informed me that Bar Harbour is the first place in America where the sun rises?? Isn't that a treat to know (for me). He took a Harley ride there a few years back from TN but failed to see this. So now he has enjoyed it through your artistic eyes. Very interesting...sort of the old with the new. Someone was very clever in this creation. CML