Friday, April 29, 2016

Fussy Cold Wet Friday.......


The fern leaf peony has one bloom partially opened.  It looks like that it isn't a normal bloom as it seems caught in this angle. I couldn't straighten it out of the tipped position.  If we ever get warm weather maybe the stem will help to straighten it.


I am predicting that this bud will be the next to open.  I don't think we are ever going to warm up again.  We need heat to move us along in the gardens.  Our normal at this time is suppose to be 65 degrees F.  We were in the low 40s this morning.





This iris now grows next to the south side of the house and it gets warmed up more in the sun.  It shot up to be a tall stem in just a couple of days. I see that there are three buds on the one stem.  I am not guessing what color it is but I do have a hunch of what it is. I will be taking lots of shots once it opens.

My water collector has been busy at work collecting the rainfall.  I was surprised to see the rain gauge showed one and a half inches of rain.  It seemed like more but it did come in sheets of sprinkles for two days.  The reflection of the dead tree in the water is another one of my projects I need to get done.  I am afraid that it will fall on my flower bed unless it gets cut down with just the right cuts.





A distorted looking kind of bud.  I will be interested to see if it develops into a normal bud or if the freeze damaged it. It seems early for iris but the cold weather keeps me thinking we are in early spring which in reality we are in the middle of spring and maybe further than that.  Our last frost day is suppose to be May 15th.




I have one section of lilac that almost looks normal.  You can't see in the photo though that the back part of it has been frozen from the cold and the dead flowers or buds prove it.

I am in the high school special education room today.  I was asked to switch back to the office job again today but I think they found a baby sitter for that phone.  I am also being a teacher in two high school English classes today.  I keep having to flex my skills to other avenues.  

It is nice that the weekend is coming.  The weather really dampens the possibility to get outside work done.  I have a framing project to get done this evening that I must finish and maybe we can go to the bookstore on Saturday.   I hope everyone has a great weekend.  Thank you for stopping by today.

5 comments:

Patsy said...

It is exciting to see the buds on the Iris and I sure will miss my
peony. there are some growing here but we are almost to for south
for them to do well.

The Furry Gnome said...

Neat to see your peony so early. Ours is up about 6" now.

troutbirder said...

I had a fern leaf once and lost it when we moved. Found out they're really expensive to replace.....

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I always enjoy looking at your gardening efforts! While looking at flowers for Mom on Mother's Day I found a bouquet of peonies and then just wasn't satisfied with anything else.
My husband is working on obtaining his teaching certificate and has been doing a lot of substitute work lately, and the stories of your adventures is interesting....I usually pass them on! He now has his interim license and will be applying for full time teaching positions.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It will be interesting to see if that distorted bud develops.. Most of the time they just fall off or dry up. Your Lilac is a beauty! Have a good weekend! :)