Wednesday, January 24, 2018

A New Day........


I am back at the office today having taken 25 photos.  It is editing time and I think I ended up with 22 shots that I can use. I don’t know if you notice but I have bought a book to read. It is about the artist Monet and one of his rough times in his life. He starts painting again and generates the large, huge, paintings of waterlilies. I don’t read much as I am too project oriented but I am working on the retirement life and what I should do. Taking time to read is a good intention for sure.


Of those who have followed me for a while, this lineup looks familiar to  you. I had them sitting in a row at the old house in the dining room.


They sit on this antique display case that I rescued from the back of an old furniture store.  As I matured in my old age, I did discover that it is a box that held a clock. Some would say it was a Seth Thomas clock but I don’t have anyway to prove that. It was being used for holding antique furniture polishes and stains. It is now my junk drawer on display, down in my office area in the basement.  It hangs on the opposite wall of the newest made shelving piece that I won’t talk about any more.

I am sharing a s"snooping theme" today of letting you snoop through my shelves of old. Most of it is worthless but just has memories,Driftwood from Minnesota is really not of great value but it is a natural sculpture.


My wife’s dad use to love to pick up boxes of junk, buying it for one single item. The ceramic birds came from such a box.  The jar holds agates from the beach as well as Native American pottery shards from Lake Pokegma, Minnesota. Their are decorations from corn pressed in the clay before it was fired. Depression glass jar from a Hoosier cupboard and an ink bottle with its tiny spout.


The little jar with a stopper was one of the things left inside of this cupboard. I see a pendent that my dad bought for my mom while he was stationed in Washington D C. Another from of an ink well that was place in the hole of a school desk sits there to the right.  The lid had to be flipped open and a glass piece inside held the ink. I never noticed that there are two birds on this figurine.


While I am downstairs taking photos the dog really misses me. We have a gate at the top of the stairs just in case.  We had a small dog fall down the stairs once and we are not going through that again with this guy. His eyesight is bad and he never could do indoor stairs in the old place.

The birds like to keep an eye on me while I am downstairs. They thank me every day for me buying them a larger cage.  They are so much more calmer and happy in the new cage. They like to be together and I noticed they were all sleeping in a bunch last night.  One was clinging to the side of the cage sleeping and the other two were sitting opposite directions to each other side by side.

We are out and about this afternoon.  Good deeds are needed and we will be doing a few.  My wife’s friend is better and rehab has helped her a lot.  She had the flu and it really threatened her life. She is not walking normally but she is walking. She was reaching the age that a walker was a good thing for her to have.

We missed the storm by "this much" and that was good.  We had a hard freeze last night but we should be up to the 35’s F. today. Thank you all for stopping by today.

3 comments:

L. D. said...

It is a long blog today. Don’t start expecting that everyday.

Red said...

I note the reference to retirement. You seem to have enough on the go to keep ten old guys busy!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update on your and Della's friend. God bless her. The gate is a blessing for Barney. We have a few safeguards for our 3 legged cat. So glad your birds are enjoying their new home.
John likes to stay busy but winter/cold prevent him from doing a lot of things. He is eager for spring to arrive!