Thursday, January 25, 2018

Let’s Go Play.......


While putting things away on the basement storage shelves  yesterday, I found an old child’s toy.  I remember it as being bought for our oldest son who is over 40 years old now.  They probably still sell these but it was very trendy in stores  at that time of simply designed wooden toys.  The simple shape of the body of the helicopter and the one drilled hole for a window is such a great symbolized shape. There was no need for a tail rudder as it is a representation of a helicopter and not the real thing. I remember that  the boy’s grandparents had furniture that had Scandinavian influence on it back in the 1970s.


I found the helicopter in the Tinker Toy box. There is a hidden monkey figure in this photo. You will have to see if you can find him.

I was the youngest in our family so I was still getting toys for Christmas when the older brothers were out of the house. My oldest brother worked in Kansas City for a year or so before he was drafted in the Army.  He had his own paycheck so bought be the largest box of Tinker Toys that was made.  It was wonderful but I was mean to the box and don’t have it.  They did fit in a box easier than a tall tube.

I really don’t know where these came from but I believe the boy’s grandparents on their mom’s side had them in their basement.  It says on one of them that it is the senior set but the one I had was much bigger than that. My wife tells that she did have a small set  like the box on the right. Her mom bought them for her under protest as she didn’t want her girl playing with boy toys.

The small set here must be one of the oldest ones,  as the sticks are not stained a color. The items in it are closely the same as in the bigger box of them. I was thinking I should make something and share of picture of it.  As a kid I would make big windmills and rig it up so I could crank a handle and make the blades twirl. I liked making buildings resembling sky scrappers or barns. The colored sticks that you see in the top photo of them were in my newest set. I do think that I learned that certain colors were all of the same length. So I I could find a green one, it was the longest of them all.

I promised myself to not make a long blog today, so I need to shut this down.  The early boxes of these had metal lids on them and as you can see they caused wear and tear on the tube boxes. The larger box that I destroyed was thiner cardboard and by then they had a plastic lid that fit inside of the tub.

We are moving into a warm spell here and I can see sunshine already.  I did hear a weather person on TV say that it will dip back down again in a few days. For now seeing the sun makes every one feel better.  Thanks for stopping by the blogspot today.  I wish you to have a great day.

4 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Larry, I saw the monkey on the left side of the photo! The Tinkertoys are certainly vintage and required imagination and creativity, more so than toys these days. Glad your weather is improving. Ours is once again cold and windy.

Red said...

I loved tinker toy as a kid in the 40's I think tinker toy was from Grandma.

The Furry Gnome said...

I found my old tinkertoy set when we were packing up to move. They weren't coloured, so they most be old.

Anonymous said...

Fun to see the sets and their boxes/containers. I did find the monkey!