Sunday, July 14, 2019

Sunday’s Stuff.....


The hot air help to create many different patterns in the cloud. This morning’s view is almost the same as this last night's view. Our week is a promised heat wave with very little cooling down at night.

Hardy geraniums like heat but they don’t like their soil drying out too much.  I try to water them every other day.  I looked out the evening before and I could see the variegated dogwood was showing heat stress problems.  I had to water everything to bring them back.



I have found a new plant since the old deck was removed and the sunroom was put it.  I guess it was growing under the then stairs. It looks like a hosta sort of but I guess it could have bloomed in the spring.  I will have to wait until next spring to figure it out.










The hosta plants are putting out a lot of blooms this summer. Most of my hosta are on their second year being planted where they are so they are full, mature plants. There is a house down the street on a north south street that must have the "sum and substance" hosta.  It is huge and I am now on the look out on how to purchase the plant. I have never seen it at a nursery. Can you see the photographer in the gazing ball?




The old fashion phlox isn’t looking very strong right now.  I am hoping that it perks up soon.  I shared this shot to show my neighbors sunroom.  They have a smaller one than ours but it was built by the same company many years ago.  The wife of that couple ordered it and had it put on while they were traveling around out west. The husband was not so happy about the decision but does sit in the shade of it in the afternoons. The couple to the southeast of us has a built in sunroom that blends in like a porch. I am sure the neighbors down the hall look up and wonder.  They are below us and they walk out onto concrete patios.




I grew up with parents that called this rose moss.  As I moved out of the southern Iowa culture I was being corrected by many that it is moss rose.  I call it the right name now without thought.  I bought this late and got it into my granite pan and it is doing very well.

It is Sunday and we will be off soon.  Our forecasters gave today a rating of “irritating” so it won’t be nice to be outside. I wish you all to have a great day.  Thanks for stopping....by.


3 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

Very pretty cloud formations. I've never had success with geraniums or phlox here in GA. I love the moss rose in the old granite container. I know you both are enjoying the new sunroom and how nice that the neighbor's fence creates a nice backdrop for your flowers, too. Blessings to you both this Sunday.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Beautiful sky Larry !
I love seeing all of your flowers, so many different varieties and colors, all blooming heartily.
The gazing ball is stunning, mine broke with a strong wind, I should buy another :)
Thank you for sharing your lovely world with us today and everyday.
Hugs,
~Jo

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have always called them Moss Roses and I really should plant some but the deer like them too much. Hot and humid is the story up here, then we had storms and it cooled off. :)