Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Eagles Have Landed..........


We were without our video cam of the nesting eagles for a whole year.  The two of them decided to move away from their original nest, where the camera had been installed, and start a new nest.  In order to not scare them away the camera remained in the tree of the unoccupied nest for a lot of the spring through summer.  It is now ready to go and the eagles have the new nest ready to go.


It is interesting how they get the nest made from large sticks down to a soft bedding on top. I know they like to reuse their nests year after year but this new nest is not far from the older one.

When you look down you are seeing the ground covered with snow.  I was trying to figure out the Grab program on the mac and I saw someone cross country skiing by the nest.  I could see them going by in the top left corner of the screen.  While view this you can hear the cars go by on a nearby road. The picture shows her looking down at that person as they were passing by the tree.



At one time the bird got up and rearranged the one egg that was lain yesterday.  Up until that point you could open up the site and all you could see was an empty nest as the birds were hanging around there.


At an earlier time I was just getting acquainted with the site the bird bent back its neck and made a call. I am assuming it was calling to get its mate to return so it could take a break.


I just caught a new photo this morning of the eagle's one egg.  I saw the female leaving the nest and in lest the ten seconds I could see this eagle soaring in to land on the nest and he now is sitting on it.

People who watch these blogs continuously know which one is the male and which one is the female.  I know that they say that the female is larger and there is a difference in the coloring around the eye of one of them.  I guess if I would log in on their mail site, I could get that information from reading the comments.

Here is the connection if you are curious or interested in following the site.  It gets to be more exciting when the eggs hatch and the birds start to grow.  They can turn from a white gray fuzzy chick to a grown bird in a manner of days once they get old enough. Just click on the link Decorah, Iowa Eagles.

 I am a middle school math and reading teacher today.  All of the classes are 6th graders except for a couple of 7th grade class. Thanks for stopping by today.

5 comments:

Patsy said...

We are watching and I saw the guy go by. That wind is blowing so hard today. Should have egg two soon.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

That is really amazing. Technology is allowing us to watch the wonders of nature.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am not real fond of the buggers but I will probably check out the cam during the daytime:)

Far Side of Fifty said...

I just checked it out, the wind is blowing like mad and the Eagle is sleeping and looks like a feathery ball:)

The Great Ethan Allen said...

We still have a few eagles around here in Wellman. I never get bored of seeing them. They are the most magnificent bird!