Thursday, February 13, 2014

Thursday's Things.......



The junco is a great addition to our new birds in out area.  I don't think we have had any around for years but suddenly the past three years they started showing up at our feeders.  They really like the try feeder and I have noticed are aggressive about their personal space.  They wait their turns to feed and an aggressive one will come and drive another away. I have a photo, lost somewhere, that shows them all sitting spaced a few feet away for each other all around my tables and chairs.  I think there were about 7 in all that were waiting there turn to get to the feeder.


Looking out my back kitchen door you can see the ice forming from the eaves troughs.  The view of the back alley can be seen as well as the ash tree that is doomed.  Large cities are just cutting them down now rather waiting for the death of the tree.  It is just going to be gone soon. I have heard that a neighboring town had the ash bore and I think that I saw the insect last summer on one of my flowers.  It is getting to be a messy tree and I will probably take it down myself as much as I can one limb at a time.






This is a shot of the female that usually comes to the feeder in the evening.  It usually is too dark for me to take a shot but I sort of captured one.  I took it so quickly that I have a definite lean.  I didn't edit it as I was on the wrong computer when I download the photos.


The mourning dove blends in well with the background.  I shared about these on my Photo a Day blog today.  They do seem very peaceful as the sit and enjoy their feast.



Looking out the window it still seems about the same.  We will get up into the 40 degree mark if they get it right.  We are so use to the teens feeling warm that I bet we will take our coats off for 40 degree weather.  I don't think the warm is going to stick around very long but a couple of days would be nice.
I am in the high school science room in the morning today and will be it the special needs room all afternoon.  Getting the special needs student to work is a real challenge and that is why they are at risk.  I will try my best to get some work out of them today.

Thanks for stopping by today.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Larry, I am glad you named the Junco because I wasn't sure what species of bird that was...however, I definitely recognized the female cardinal and the dove! These are beautiful and soothing captures.

Anonymous said...

We enjoy seeing the Juncos here too. Wonderful photos. I have an Ohio blog friend and I tease her about her GIANT icicles. I enjoyed the photo of your icicles too. Hope you have a good evening. We warmed up today and hope to be able to get out by Sat/Sund.

Far Side of Fifty said...

My Juncos are usually ground feeders, but then I don't have an open feeder like you. I have an Oceola Photo Studio Photo up today at Forgotten Old Photos:)

Vicki Lane said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Larry! We too are warming up a bit, thank goodness! Lots of juncoes here -- I've been putting out extra seed.