Saturday, March 18, 2017

Royal Stone China.......


As I was growing up and learning about antiques, this kind of plate was the rage at the time.  The farmers who inherited Wedgwood, Tea Leaf dishes, from their parents and grandparents who settled this country were selling them in auctions and antique shops. One of my dad's cousin collected every kind of Tea Leaf plate and bowl that she could find.  I can still see her cupboards stacked full of these dishes.

When my grandmother Brooks moved from the farm to the city my mom took a souvenir plate from a box of Wedgwood dishes.  They were the dishes of my grandmother's husband first wife who had passed away in the 1940s. The box of dishes had been stowed away in an upstairs closet.  The plate is of such a simple design with a brown glaze that looks almost like gold when viewing it in the right light. I see that some sellers of the plate call it copper. I see a plate like this in good shape would be sixteen dollars to buy today.


A dish that reminds me of a shallow soup bowl has a more mover decoration on it. The era seems to be more 30s or 40's with its classic urn of flowers.  The flowers themselves remind me of the floral declaration of plates that I have called "Mildred". The value of the dish is of little to nothing as it has many stain spots in it.


I am not sure where this plate was from but the design of it is so unusual.  The very formal gold decoration is effective but the spotting of the decal decorations is funny. The one spot of flowers almost gives an impression that the plate is dirty. None of the floral decorations have a sense of balance.


I am taking a couple of days off from my gallery project.  We have lots of other things to do and my body needs to heal up. I need edge molding for the ceiling, yet to be put up.  My hands seem to not like the use of tools anymore as the muscles react to the frequent use of them.  I think a couple of days off will give me a chance to restart and finish.  We have some deadlines ahead of us now that will make our changes more permanent in our lives.  It is good that we are getting close to spring and the weather won't be so harsh as we start moving some of our things south of her 30 miles.

I think we will hit the bookstore today and do a little shopping.  I think the next two days will be good warming days for us. The wind has kept us chilly even though the thermometer tells us we are warm.  I wish everyone a great weekend.  Thanks for stopping by today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not familiar with the "tea leaf" designs...it does look copper-ish/gold. The middle dish with the urn of flowers reminds me of the Mildred dishes, also. When I am in thrift shops, I see so many pretty patterns. I try hard NOT to bring any more dishes home! lol
The ceiling looks good. Yes, tools are very hard on the nerves/muscles of the hands. Glad you are taking a break. I hope you both enjoy your outing today.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh I do like to look at those older designs of our grandparents age, simply lovely.
I seem to be forever drawn to dishes, it's my weakness.....that and tea :)
Hope your sore hands and muscles rebound, getting older, it's not for the faint of heart.
Hugs,
~Jo

Far Side of Fifty said...

What pretty designs I enjoy looking at all old plates. I have several I call cookie plates, if I make cookies to share I just take a plate and don't worry about getting it back. Still cold up here maybe tomorrow it will warm up! Enjoy your rest! Your ceiling looks great! :)

The Furry Gnome said...

We're working on things around the house too, and I just ache everywhere!