Thursday, May 24, 2018

Getting Some Jobs Done....


Yesterday I was able to get the marigolds in on the border of the raised bed. I am happy how it all turned out and will be glad to have the marigolds crowd into their row as they grow. I found a red-orange colored marigold to throw into the mix.  It will give it a less regimented  look. I had a few plants left over so they are placed elsewhere in the back yard flower beds.

I am told that the marigolds are good to ward off insects but I really just do it to make a showy flowerbed.  The tomatoes have really started to grow bigger.  My neighbors were really big plants from the start but mine will catch up to them.  I have been watering mine already to help keep them going. When I worked on the beds, I was able to swing one side of the fencing  around and work on it one side at a time.  The original owner had a good design for this.

I did get the cecropias planted yesterday.  I have always wanted one of them but I could never get them to grow.  This half gallon buck of them should prove to make me successful with blooms each year.
We first saw these at a rest area in Colorado but never really planted any of them. I think they have different names but I am not certain of them.


Two rows of zinnias have been planted in the two crooked rows that I made.  It will be a "wait and see “ situation to find what seed actually will grow.  It is so hot and dry right now and it make take them a while to germinate.  The one package of seed had a purple coating on them to make it easier to plant. I do have leftover seed from last years plants if I need to reseed anywhere.




The young iris  bed looks like this right now. There are more buds to bloom and I will keep taking shots of the bed to show its progress.   I mowed at the farm this morning, earlier than usual.  It predicted that it would be 81 degrees by 9:00 this morning.  Even though I was early I still had to work it that heat.  It can really drag your energy level down fast.  I had a neighbor lady come over for a 30 minute talk on the street so I did loose time getting the job down before it got too hot. I am soaking in air conditioning this afternoon to bring me back from that.   It is really too hot to do anything outside this afternoon.   I can force myself to grill a steak to go with my wife’s potato salad and the rest of that day and evening I will be inside.

Thanks for stopping by today.

3 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Your gardens are well on the way Larry !
Yes, the Marigolds will keep insects at bay, just not deer :(
I love the raised bed designs, so easy to work, and saves your back.
Too hot to be outside here....90 degrees and awful humidity.
Thank you for sharing.
~Jo

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

It's all looking good. Enjoy the progress, then the harvest.

FlowerLady

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your garden looks good! :)