Friday, May 4, 2018

Tornado Country.....


It was an exciting afternoon yesterday as we had weather sirens going go in numerous areas of the town.  We have our own town siren and then there are a couple more south of us and north of us. This is the unaltered photo of the look of the tornado scare that was west and north of us. The colors of the tree are a subtle green but everything really looked black and white. The whole evening was filled with storm warnings from the television set. By late evening the warnings did all settle down and it was quiet outside.


The morning sky looked like this as things were clearing away from our night before activities.  I did see that we gained and an inch and a half of rain through all of it and we did need that. The total of about 3 inches we have recieved the past few days are really great. Because of all the rain of the past few weeks north of us our local Saylorville  lake is filled to the brim.  The rains of northern Iowa do end up in the Des Moines river that dumps into our lake. The spillway keeps the Des Moine River filled for its path stretching further south.  I have been noticing a lot of tree debris in the lake and huge logs that have joined the mess.  I did see pelicans on the lake this morning as I visited the old place. I am thinking that they are going to start stay down here rather than flying north.

Our grass at both places does look this good.   I mowed up at the old place the outside surrounding yard of the house.  I will return another day to finish the back yard and side orchard area.  I need to mow the yard at our home now but wait until Saturday to give it a chance to dry out good.


We get to enjoy some of the flowers from the old place when I remember to pick them. I try to leave some in the yard so that it doesn’t look so plain in the garden areas.

The colors are mostly yellow now in the garden but one smaller one has the pink and green colors.   I did dig up an iris and moved it here.  It was an old fashion one that was growing out in the old raspberry patch.  It rarely bloomed so it will perk up in a new garden area.  I decided to move some phlox also. I have a lot of the flower at the old place and I don’t like how it invades everything.  I will find a place where it can be kept away from other things.

A mild spring day is welcomed after all the storms.  I think I need to rest for awhile now before I move on to other projects.  Thanks for checking in on me.

4 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Always a scary sight, we have our share here in Tennessee. Happy you are safe.
Beautiful flowers, I can understand why you would choose to leave some for the new owners to share.
~Jo

Anonymous said...

That threatening sky was scary. Thankful you did not have any damage. I know you were pleased to receive the rain. Looks like you had a pretty day today. I hope your transplants do well. Wishing you both a nice weekend.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Tornadoes are so scary to me. Glad you were spared the storm.

Have a lovely weekend ~ FlowerLady

Far Side of Fifty said...

Scary looking skies, yes it is that time of year . Good thing you have sirens:)