Saturday, June 1, 2019

The History of Plywood??????


A new deck gets some new flowers. Seeing the kind of flowers in the pot worry me a little.  I don’t know there red flowers and I really do wonder if they will readily rebloom. The dark ones appear to be petunia-like flowers. I guess the white ones are also petunias.  It is a new thing for me to buy but they were less expensive in that pot than what I would spend being all of the different flowers and planing them myself. I wasn’t looking for a planter but some tomato replacements for the garden where a couple had died out on me.

The heavy rains made the “kick out” roses bloom better than I have ever seen before. The trimming back of the bushes really did set them up for new blooms.

I did get the tables finished completely.  I like discovering building techniques from the old pieces.  These did have knobs that were  originally wooden but I only had one.  I thought the white porcelain knobs look good on the drawers.








Most furniture made at the time in history were all coated with an opaque dark stain and varnish. The grain of the wood could not be seen once the coated them up.  These tables had pieces that looked like the builders used scrap wood. It was all going to be covered up anyway so it didn’t matter if it was even the same wood. The one board here, horizontal, is cut with some burl wood showing.  Burl means that it contains all of the knots and grain of branches to the tree.
The tops were made up of strips of wood glued together to make a flat top. One of the tables was in much better shape that its matching partner. You can see the top curve up in the above photo.

The drawers had some surprising things going on.  The sides of the drawers were made of oak. The bottom of each drawer had a kind of old fashion plywood.  I didn’t know that they made plywood that far back in time.

The net says that plywood was first manufactured in 1928 in this country.  I guess they had it back then to make this table. I learned the earliest plywood was made in other countries as far back as 1797.  I would not of imagined that the technology was figured out for so long ago. Enough for the history of wood for today.



We are getting a gentle rain this morning which will be good for the gardens. I think we will warm up again by the afternoon. Thanks for stopping in today.  I wish you all to have a great weekend.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I have almost identical tables. Your photos give me inspiration to revarnish them. Thankfully my tops are still flat. They seem to be a veneer over oak. Loving the white knobs. I'm on the hunt at the hardware store today.

Laurel Wood said...

The pot of flowers is very pretty. I do love your tables; the white knobs were just perfect. That is interesting and surprising about plywood.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The tables and the flowers are lovely. And, when you mentioned getting rain, I hope that it won’t cause any problems in your area after seeing photos of flooding in other parts of Iowa.