Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Tuesday’s Things....


My neighbor’s iris is stretching through the fence and blooming on our side.  They have their select colors of iris lining their rock covered stairway.  Pink, yellow and blue are really doing well there.  Their iris have been growing there for a very long time.

I do remember now that we were in a drought early on in the spring. last year.  This vining honeysuckle really is blooming out well this spring.  I think the first year we lived here that the blooms lasted almost through the summer.
The columbine is a greenhouse bred plant as it has this wonderful cluster of blooms.  The original old fashioned kind would have spare amounts of tall stems with a few flowers hanging on the end of the stems. When I planted this it was not such a big plant but it has really increased in size since planted.  I suppose I could divide this and have more of it in the garden but I  would have to remember to do it later in the season.  I did succeed in moving some of the liatris from this area a season ago.




Of the dianthus that I bought last year I had one variety that turned out to be tall.  I know they are a part of the carnation family and the stems on them makes it seem like a mini carnation.

We are headed to downtown to get some paperwork done at the court house.  It is located in a very old building full of hallways with no windows.  I wouldn’t like working in that style of building.  We live about eight miles from downtown Des Moines but we travel through some river valley terrain and an old coal mining  town to get there. Our suburb is so different than the historic old downtown area.

I have the front yard mowed already this morning and some petunias have been planted. It is suppose to be a partly rainy day so I mowed early to get it done. We have had to mow more often than once a week with all the moisture that we have received.  Thanks for stopping by today.

4 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Beautiful flowers Larry, your garden has to be a sight to behold !
Hope your week is going well..
~Jo

Laurel Wood said...

You have such a grand variety of plants. I haven't had Columbine in the garden in years. They are so pretty. I could not live/work in a place with no or few windows. I enjoy window views so much! Hope your day went smoothly and that you both have a pleasant evening.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The purple iris in the first photo brought back memories of similarly colored ones we used to have in our VA yard, Larry. They would often become quite top heavy and fall over. The dianthus is another variety we had in backyard planters and it always did well.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have the best blooms and how nice for your neighbor to shre his Iris:)