Thursday, June 27, 2019

Thursday Afternoon......


We are eating from this planting.  The raises were a failure.  I planted them too late I think or our crazy weather didn’t work well with them.

The white radishes did the best but the best was really lousy. It was easy to pull the whole mess up and out and put them in a compost pile.  I think we each had two small token radishes for supper the that I pulled them. We are moving into a long heat spell and I don’t think I will waste the seed to replant.

On my project list is this set of stairs. The heavy rains washed out the sand the was sitting under the bricks.  I won’t be able to do them all in one day but maybe one step section at a time.  I have clay infused soil that I am going to add to this sand mixture at the base and see if I can stop the sand from being washed out on each step. They are dangerous to walk on right now as you can hit a brick and it falls through. I is too hot to be out there today to work on them.

Another fun project that I have going on is to rebuild this protocol that was on my old garden shed. I have rebuilt from scratch the entire base of it while keeping the roof intact. It has been fun to work on but it again is too hot.  I was out a little late morning and nailed some last things together.  Going in and out of the downstairs doors I could tell the the next steps on tis are going to happen inside of the basement.  I now have the thing on a large piece of plastic on a table inside.  The birds can watch me as I paint it a couple of coats of paint.
This view is not of the completed piece but it does show you what I was heading for in its being rebuild.  I am not going to return it to the old garden shed but will use it in my cottage garden area as a decoration.  One coat of paint is on it and when it is fully dried I will paint it again.  I have a finial for the top of it and I will use an older base with it to sit it farther up in the air.

My dad had build windmills from scrap wood and he gave me one.  When he died 19 years ago I also got the second one. You may have see one or both of them in my old postings.  I remember when he made them back in the 1980s.  He was so pleased with himself and had made windmill blades for them.  Both sets of windmill blades were thrown away a long time ago. I finally let both of them go to the dumpster. I tore up the one that I had at the new place and put it in the garbage bin.  The other one at the old place went away with the Friday’s garbage at the old place. The memories of them are good enough as the 30 years of wear and tear on them merited for me to finally let them go.

One project that I worked on for Monday was to level the floor at the old place that I had put in last summer.  I had to unscrew panels, one four foot square at t time and figure how to get them more level.  The underneath floor was an old porch and a three foot addition floor making everything over the years be very uneven.  I figured out the process and worked my way all around the room to shim them up right.  The whole east side of the room had to be raise an inch to make those pieces level.  My health went bad for a while  after putting them down and I just could not get down on the floor to crawl around and level them.  Monday I did crawl around, raised the pieces up and put them down right.  The work itself has my leg muscles over stretched and sore.  I am better today as I mow at the old place today.  I felt like I had been in PE class and had been introduced to a new exercise.  Anyway, I now can lay a pad and carpet on the floor and be happy with it.

I think that is it for now with the project list.  We are all waiting in the neighborhood as to if we are going to mow our yards.  The grass is shaggy but we have extreme heat predicted for the next five days.  Ir looks like everyone is waiting as a short grass length could turn yellow quickly.

Thanks for topping by today.


3 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

That is too bad about the radishes. You certainly have many projects going on. We too are struggling with the heat currently. Today we had our HVAC changed out but we made it fine with ceiling fans. I'm thankful you have your basement to finish up your one project. John really misses having a basement here.

Rose said...

I am worn out just reading all you have on your list! But it is good to plan big...and have goals. (I know about health going bad...so really know where you were coming from there.)

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is a great project! Sounds like you have lots of projects happening! :)