Thursday, February 12, 2009

Birdhouse development.....




Ok, I am in a rut. I want to share with you the small model of birdhouse that I bought at Michaels, a craft store. It is made out of light wood and is intended to be an interior decoration. The mat board model I am working on is at right. I don't like the proportions of it and will probably shorten the two major verticals. If I get it to look visually good design-wise tomorrow, I will start cutting wood pieces. I have a hand problem right now with my joints in my right hand fingers so I bought a smaller screw that I can use to connect the wood together. I just can't be hammering any nails because of the pain it causes. Because of the kind of wood that I am using, I will have to pre-drill holes so the screws will go in easily. My wood is three-fourths of an inch thick and I have decided that the roof pieces will look better if they are a half inch thick. A part of the design problems that are involved include figuring out how to have pieces moveable as to allow me to clean out the houses of bird debris in the fall. The one pattern that I saw in a book of birdhouses, had real shingle material on the roof pieces. I am hoping to pull that off if I can figure out how to do minimal hammering. Enough for now. I will keep you informed on the progress in the future. Thanks for reading.

No comments: