Sunday, February 22, 2009

Searching for my place in art....





I have finally started a painting. I promised myself and pledged to my wife that I will complete a painting between every project that I have planned to do. I want to rework our framing gallery to give us more room but can't do it until I get this painting done.
I can't show you the painting as I am embarrassed and frustrated with it. I just started it and I don't know my style anymore. I have shown you pictures of the past and I can see pretty tight painting. The past years I have done some great paintings for examples for my students. They were far more loose in style and more painterly. I have created a fantastic Rothko rendition. I imitated Monet's waterlilies in great impressionistic form. I really can do a mean Kandinsky. So the painting I am working on right now is a combo of all of these things. I have to decide on a definite style.
I was at a bookstore today with my wife and I saw in a book a painted abstract by the late Edward Betts. It has given me direction. I am going to have a realistic sailboat in the composition but I am going to abstractly place various other things around and in front of it to create a painted design. I have new shapes to add and old shapes to remove and hopefully tomorrow I can get a handle on it. I will let you see it when I am done and not ashamed of it anymore. Thanks for reading

No comments: