Sunday, February 8, 2009

The making of my garden shed.......





I needed a shed for my garden stuff and it worked out well to have the Industrial Arts class build it for me. I like to build myself but I didn't have the time when I was working full time. So in the fall of the school year, four years ago, the class started to work. The instructor, who is a friend of mine, took my cute little plans and change them, turning it into a large taller building. They had started nailing the sides together at school and the instructor said that he couldn't cut down those standard stud length boards to a six and a half length. He thought it would be silly to waste the wood. The planned small shed now was standing there with almost 8 foot walls, making it look like an over-sized bird house on a base of a seven by twelve foot floor.
Something had to be changed, as it was not what I wanted to be sitting on my property, a mis-proportioned, badly designed shed. So when the foundation was put in and the walls were brought to my property, I said that a lean-to side shed roof had to be added on to the long side of the building to bring it in to a shape of a farm building in a smaller scale or looking like a small carriage house. Having that added was a gfeat solution. It also got me in trouble with the then zoning board for changing the plans. I told the zoning board that my head carpenter screwed up the plan and that I was just salvaging the look of my shed. They scolded me, and I might have to pay another fifty dollars more for a new zone permit to add a roof to be put on the side of it. They finally admitted that would be ridiculous and they walked away and let it be.
The building was started in the fall and the crew worked slowly, so they did get snowed out until early April of the next year. They finished it by the end of the school year, leaving me to do the paint job and putting in the window. I also made the cupola myself, during the winter in our art studio, cutting the boards on the porch and assembling it inside the art studio. I even shingled inside during a snow storm. I added a loft to the shed to store lumber and lawn chairs. I still need to add more shelving but it works great for a garden shed. This spring I plan to add a back roof to shed water from an outside workbench area. It won't stick out more than two feet but it will add more protection of outside things that are parked back there and for shade plants on the workbench.
The appearance around the shed has changed a lot as it is planted in now with a large rose bush on one end and trellis on the other. It has enhanced the look of my property a great deal I did get a lot of garden stuff out of my basement. Thanks for reading.

No comments: