Monday, February 9, 2009

Photography...



I have always enjoyed photography, and now with digital photography, we are free to shoot so many pictures. From all those pictures, one can find some that are higher quality than just your casual point and shoot. Having been a teacher of good design for many years in the public schools, I find the informal well designed picture is few and far between with out having done a lot of practice of taking pictures.
The top picture was taken of a wonderful, kind man who had attended the graveside services of my mother. When I saw him take off down the hill to view gravestones, I knew that the viewer could see a great story there. The picture reminds me of the work of painter Andrew Wyeth. The photo of tractors was taken at a Great Iowa Tractor Ride rest stop. I was in Minburn, Iowa and large groups of various models and ages of tractors kept coming into town for a pit stop before they were to finish the ride into Adel, then into Des Moines. I like the reflected color and the overlapping shapes of the older tractors.
The last picture is one of an old car that is parked a half a block away from my home. It is a Pontiac with great styling. The hood ornament has this art deco design resembling a water fall coming down the top and down to the front of the car. The Indian glass sculpture is actually a globe to protect a light that one could see when it was dark and the headlights are turned on for viewing. The whole car has remarkable design with a silver streak design on the side and a symbol of a Pontiac Indian's head. The trunk has the same flowing waterfall design running down it to a trunk key latch. The name Sumner Pontiac is on it and that business is still in existence in Des Moines. I have been told that it is a 1947 make but I have not verified that info. At the present time Ramsey Pontiac is running an add on tv telling about their different cars other than Pontiacs, that they have for sale. When the commercial starts out, this model of car is shown in a restored condition sitting in their showroom.
Thanks for reading

No comments: