Wednesday, November 13, 2013

In the middle of the week.........


I took two shots of the cornfield from my yard.  I zoomed in and snapped them and went immediately back into the house. People say Iowa is flat but as you can see the rolling hills to the east show we are not that flat. The zoom bunches up the picture so the bean field looks closer than it really is. The neighbor's trailer is on the back of his yard and everything looks close together because I used the zoom.


The wind was blowing the day that I took the photo and as you can see you can almost feel the wind.  The burning bush will never be a full deep red as the very cold temps has caused it to drop its leaves faster.


This neighboring bush is leaf free except for this one branch of stray green ones on the branch. The berries show that they didn't get a lot of water this summer as they are shriveled and also are falling off the stems.  I hope some birds get good use of what is left.

It really was unfortunate to have this Austrian pine catch fire during the burning of the leaves on Sunday.  I had such great help with the leaves and had set fires all along the long batch of leaves.  I didn't get back to check on it as I was going both lengths of my property trying to get the leaves burned before sundown.  The two smallest boys came running and told me that the little tree was on fire.  We beat it out with rakes but I am certain I will have to take it down.  As a design the one tree on the sidewalk will look ok even though it was nice to have the two matching ones.  I may leave it through the winter and I may take it out of there if the moods strikes me to do so. If I leave it, I will give it a bucket of water to help it revive. It was very dry and was a glowing tree before I got to it.






I am home today, Wednesday, requesting to call me if she gets to the bottom of the list.  I have a mild irritating head cold that I think I can beat with some rest.  The scratchy throat is mostly what I am dealing with and this is the second day on that.  I do have work lined up for tomorrow.  I have a few small time jobs to do here at home with some houseplants and I may miter one frame job. Hopefully I am going to rest most of the day.  Thanks for stopping by today and everyone take care of yourselves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the Austrian pine.
I wonder if your sore throat/head congestion might have been caused by the burning leaves etc. I hope the day off today will help you to feel better soon.
It is nice to see the countryside around you. I've never visited your part of the country.
It was 20 degrees this a.m. Warmed up to the 40's.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Sorry about the tree. Eeek.
Take care.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh no..you could try to lop it off and see if it comes back, it might have an interesting shape after the fire:)