Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Neighbor's Bungalow.........


I live in a very old house and most of the houses around me are a lot newer than mine.  Mine was built in the early 1900's while the bungalow next door was probably built in the 20's or 30's. I have always liked the look of a bungalow house so it is nice to see one daily.  This house looks large but in reality from the front view it is a narrow house.  It makes it a house with a lot of small rooms unlike the big wide ones that they made then as well as they now do make again. This picture shames me to go out and take down my patio umbrella which I will now do before nightfall.  I will be bringing in the cushions to the chairs as I flipped them over yesterday to let the snow melt off of them.


I don't go to southern Iowa anymore but there was an antique store there that I really liked to visit. I bought this duck planter at one of the booths inside a antique mall there.  The mall is now closed but I did buy a few of these cheap ceramic pieces.  The duck itself wasn't glazed that well now that I take time to look at it.  The orangebrown color on it looks like a leg rather than the brown of the bottome of the duck.


Sculptural form of it is actually done very well.  The glazing was done quickly.  I am not sure why I even like them but they remind me of the things we had in our house when I was young. I share the donkey and cart planter often and I am sure this duck was up on the post at least a couple of years ago.

No work again today and it will give me another day of healing.  We both are so much better but the cold and congestion has continued for about three weeks.  I am 95 percent better. It will be a long break until school starts back up next Monday.  I think it will be good to be off and get some rest.
Thanks for stopping in today.  As the storms we had head eastward I hope all will stay inside until it passes. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny the memories that blogs bring to mind. My mother had a great love of bungalows. John would be silly and ask her about bungahighs!!! She would just laugh.
I remember the ceramic planters from the 60's too. I also remember the wall pocket ceramics too.
Happy to hear you are improving. Hope these next few days will allow you time to fully recover from a nasty cold.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Cute planter. I really like the blue glass containers in your window. The light in them makes them shine.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like you duck. My Grandmother had a set of ducks which I see often in antique shops. I don't know where I would put them..I love your blue glass in the window:)