Tuesday, November 19, 2013

On the roof?


The mystery of the disappearing suet holder was solved while I was up on my roof this summer.  Apparently a raccoon decided to take it to the roof and clean out the suet while up there.  I have trimmed all the branches back from the one pine tree so the racoons don't visit my roof anymore even though I think they do stay inside one of the large maple trees during the winter.  As you know the cornfield is so close so they can get back into the country very quickly and find their summer residence in the timber to the east.


One of my student's clay houses sits in a wooden box on display on my fence.  I plan to bring it  in to the garden shed this winter and let it last a lot longer than it would if I leave it outside.



A final photo is of the last of the color outside on the burning bush.  I am greatful that the Japanese yew will stay green all winter giving the garden some color.

I am felling so much better than I was three days ago concerning this cold.  I haven't had a severe one for a long time and this one was severe.  I did teach yesterday and was pretty zonked by the end of the day.  I am back today in the same position and I can face it with a lot more vigor.  I am giving quizes over the Tell-Tale Heart today and a vocabulary quiz also.  That will be three of the seven classes.  Speeches in three other classes and then a study hall at the end of the day. 

My wife and friends are headed to the Art Center today to lunch and view artwork.  My wife has been teaching adult art classes for a while to a small group and they are all really have a great time with it. The Des Moines Art Center prides itself in being a contemporary art museum so they will find many abstract things to look at in the collection.  The classic historical section does have a few famous works that are not contemporary.  Its leaning toward a contemporary style means the work can be pretty far out there sometimes.

I hope you have a good day today.  Thanks for stopping by today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the James Taylor song "Up on the Roof" on my mind now!

Those raccoons are a nuisance!

Sad to see the pretty leaves of the Burning Bush go but that Yew will be so nice.

Another great keepsake from a student. Love the clay house. We have brought in most of our outdoor clay/pottery items for the winter.

Thankful you are better and I know your wife will enjoy her outing with friends.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good to hear you feel better. Did you get a flu shot?
I had a good education in "Contemporary" art all summer, the art museum upstairs at the museum had some really weird stuff. Even the photographer exhibit was strange:(

Ela said...

Interesting pictures and so a beautiful birdhouse :)

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Crazy about the suet feeder!
Take care.