Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Wednesday's World...........


 A few days ago the trees still had their leaves.  The bay window really does give us a great picturesque view of the seasons.  The colors just glow in the fall and we sense all of the fall colors inside.  Spring green is also nice and yes the snow storms look pretty good through this window.


My days in elementary and high school were a long time ago.  My dad had bought a geography book from a closed country school auction and that book had four views of the earth in color on shiny black paper.  That was my best view of the earth that I had most of my school days then.  The illustration now I realize was an artists creation as we were not sending anyone out in space to take those photos.  As I write this I do remember I have that book in my collection somewhere in the house.  I do remember that it was a 1945 text book.

The globes in the classroom and these coin banks gave us a little bit of understanding as to where countries were but we didn't have much but black and white photos in our history and geography books of places around the world.  Most maps were big ones on a rack in the front of the room and most teachers had trouble with them trying to get them pulled down from the roll and putting back up the maps that we didn't need to see.   It really was a flat world for out understanding of things.

The globe came from the attic of my wife's family farm.  No one really knows who the bank belonged two but the four kids that lived there have not all been asked.  It was probably one of my wife's sisters that owned it.  I keep it with my toy collection as they may have been sold in a dime store in the toy section. I had an old humpty dumpty bank as a kid that was on of my brothers and it was always falling apart. It was probably tossed when the farm was sold.


I don't think I need to say anything about this as I have written about it way too much. I have a lot of mulching to do when it dries up outside and the wind stops blowing. I cropped the photo and also straightened the photo as the photographer took a crooked photo.  I see that when I cropped it down I had some white slice left at the bottom.


Looking out our upstairs window we can get the best view of the one burning bush turning red.  The one next to it will turn later and the third one is almost dead from being planted too close to a tree. It looks like my garbage bin is ready to go to the side of the street for pickup. As a side not this roof it our wild life path from the front yard to the back yard.  It is nothing to see a squirrel run across this roof to get to the apple tree in the back or the water in the fish pond.

I am a shuffled sub today. I am told on one day that I will be one kind of sub and then when I arrive I discover that the middle school staff member has a young sick girl and I am move to that postion.  I have been in this classroom many times so it is a good assignment.

We are cold today and no promises of any warming up for us.  We had some rain in the evening but not enough to keep the dogs from venturing outside.  My leaves are falling rapidly now on the silver maples but I won't address them until the most of them are down. I forget how many there are until I see the sidewalks have disappeared and blend in with the yard.

Thanks for stopping in today. 







2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Beautiful view out your window. Hope you get your leaves all done before it snows. I think Southern Mn got it last night..not us:)

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty view out your window. Our leaves are falling fast now but our weather is still warm.
I remember the little globes and also the maps that would roll up quickly and startle the teacher!