Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Second Day of Spring.......


The sun is coming up with a clear sky,  helping it to show off.  We had powdery snow yesterday afternoon that was not measurable. We will warm up to 43 degrees F. today.

This is a blurry shot of two ruffled morning doves.  I do hope they choose to nest in this area as they do seem to be hanging around in the back yard. I am blurry because they are just too far away for my automatic to get a good focus.  It did get a great focus of the neighbors weathered fence. AS I write this I can see them out on the same spot this morning.

It seems to be a similar pose as the pair of goldfinches had a few days ago. They seem to be enjoying get seed.  I need to fill the loss seed feeder itself and will try to separate the sock away from the bird feeder. I don’t really want to buy another hook but it really is the only solution.




This lily was in with a batch of a five stemmed bouquet. It immediately went limp when I got it home as someone had dented the stem.  I had to cut it way down to get rid of the damaged part and then it started to take on water.

Those who are interested in watching a nesting bald eagle can check out the live stream of the Deborah, Iowa eagle cam.http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles The photo is off of my computer screen showing the one parent in action.  I am thinking there is one egg already but they could have the second one by now. Being able to see them regularly flying over our Lake Saylorville makes it more interesting for us. I have yet to get a photo of a flying bald eagle ever.  I am hoping this is the spring or summer for that. I do remember take a shot of flying eagles a few years back but they were high in the clouds and looked like black spots.

An interesting story that goes with the Deborah site is that their nest there fell to the ground with the large branch giving way.  Everything was on the ground and they put another one back up for the eagles. They reinforced the new branch with commercial wood to keep it braced. The rangers used all of the material of the old nest that they could and the pair of eagles added more nesting material equivalent of a foot thickness to make it right. The man made nest has lasted now its second year.


Barney continues to improve.  I was not putting a leash on him when I took him outside as he was so limited before in how far he would be able to walk. Now I have to put on a leash because he is taking me farther all over the yard.  He can actually get up on his own without help now. He just won’t  do it readily unless there is food involved or he wants to get to a cooler part of the floor. The file photo of him shows him looking down the stairs as I was coming upstairs.

We are home again today staying out of the cold.  Spring isn’t doing so well temperature wise.  On weather guy that it would not be uncommon for us to have 70 degrees F. right now. We will probably have a very hot summer this year. Thanks for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

We have snow today too, Good to hear that Barney needs a leash! He is improving...that photo makes him look like he is in jail! (I know he is not) :)

Red said...

You have an awesome view of the sunrise. It's enough to make a guy get up early!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sunset. We had cold wind and snow flurries today too. That is so interesting about the eagles nest. I hope you get your Eagle photos this year. So thankful Barney is better. He is so sweet. Stay warm and safe.