Monday, November 20, 2023

Marbles...


 

The plane is the one thing that always effects my emotions. I got some toys from a couple who are now long gone. The had four sons with lots of military themed toys. They were my dad's age.They gave me freely given any of the toys that I wanted.  The plane makes me always think of the one son, George Horton, who was killed on Normandy Beach in 1944.  He is buried in one of the cemeteries in France. I can imagine the boys of that family swinging the plane in the air pretending to be pilots. The marbles have been collected for years as loose finds and old toy boxes. 



I have been cleaning up the lower level of our house getting ready for guests. The old walnut table polished up pretty nice with some furniture polish.  My Grandmother Brooks gave me the table back in 1965 as she was getting a new formica table. She was poor and that used formica table made her so happy to have a newer thing.  She knew I was into refinishing old furniture. As I was working on it I found the name of the town that it was sold.  Woodburn, Iowa was burned into one of the rails. She had told me that she had been given the table from a neighbor lady. Woodburn is a very old small town built along hills with a train that still goes through it today. 


This is one of the pieces that I refinished back when I was in high school. The scroll decoration is applied to the back piece on the top of the chest of four drawers, all made from oak. We got this at an auction in Murray, Iowa for six dollars and my mom turned to be and said if I wanted to learn how to refinish furniture. She never had but friends of my parents had many old pieces in their home and it was interesting to me to do the renewing of the piece.

It is a gray cool day today with a slight sprinkle happening this morning. We are now eleven inches of rain behind. The drought continues. 


Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

How beautiful that table is! And that scroll decoration is fantastic also.

My husband and his mom refurbished furniture together as well. I'm sitting at my husband's Grandmother's old oak table. It is really too big for our little eating area, but it serves us well.

The door in our bedroom is the front door to the farm house that my husband's dad was born in.

Such wonderful memories pieces of wood can have.

That plane is something too. It has such a back story to it.
It is sad that so many of the younger generation really no longer cares about some of these details.

:)
Thank you for going down memory lane.

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is a beauty of a table! Glad you are getting company!