Monday, September 2, 2013

Laborless Day.......


The pin oak leaves seem very weathered this time of year.  They did turn to a great color and the veins are a good green color.


As those who follow me regularly know my pots filled with hardy geraniums have been my main flower garden this summer.  They are all blooming again as I had to dead head all the original blooms before I took this photo.



The river birch has done well this summer.  It must have deep roots.  I guess I know their roots do spread out when I tried to dig in and plant some iris as I did get into a lot of roots. The tree itself hasn't suffered from the dry summer but as you can see it is getting dry now  The tree is covered with leaves changing in color and also leaves that are just drying up because of the heat.

It is a day off for us today and I haven't done much so far.  I can't believe how we cooled off in Iowa and the day will stay pretty cool.  It is going to be cool most of the week.  The night temperatures will make it nice for us to just open our windows and cool off the house.

We went to the neighbor's evening picnic with a lot of food to eat. Her family was there and we seemed to be included with that one tradition of her's each year. It was such great weather and the evening ended with cake and homemade ice cream. 

Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed your geraniums and the lovely birch tree this year. How nice to be included in the neighbor's picnic. Dessert sounds delicious!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your River Birch is a beauty! :)