Friday, August 8, 2014

Past Thursday........


It is Friday and the rains have stopped.  We did get some moisture over the night as water was pooled on the back deck this morning when we were first up.  I noticed last evening that the big cracks in the ground have now disappeared with us having received over 2 inches of rain or more.

I have  yet to see any other color of blooms but this one on the vines.  It is early and the other major vine has not put out any buds.

I was out to the garden late yesterday afternoon to see what good that the rains had caused.  I have a zinnia almost in bloom but its petals are in an unfolding stage.  I will show you when I get the next photo captured of it completely in bloom.  My neighbors zinnias are in full sun and they have three or more blooms already.  I should have more in a few days. The tomatoes are really growing in size.  I can now tell which tomatoes are steak tomatoes and which are the roma tomatoes.  Out of all of the ones that made it to the garden I do think I have one cherry tomato out there.


I earlier said that I had added four hostas in front of my new crosshatched panel fence.  This is an older photo but you can see I added a finial to my corner post.  I spent a little time Tuesday on the blue door getting the latch to work better. The slight settling of it cause me to have to lift the gate up to get it to latch and unlatch.  I fixed it by building up the bottom hinge and moving the receiving latch a little lower.  An eight of an inch change makes all the difference in the world.  I really didn't want the gate to be too easy to open with little neighbors wanting to venture in the backyard when I first built it.




The rains put a coneflower onto the ground yesterday.  It was all laying there and I am going to wait to see if I have to assist it to stand it back up again.  I have to decide when to mow the yard.  I may wait until tomorrow but it is cool out there today.  I have some weeding and volunteer tree removal to attend to again.  It was being kept inside for two days with all the moisture falling from the sky.  In the afternoon there was this tiny light mist coming down with very little clouds in the sky.  One didn't get wet from it and yet is was damp.




Button got the first of a series of hair trims today.  He was getting pretty much to be a large dog with all that hair.  He doesn't want us to mess with him but if one person holds him we can cut off big hunks of fuzzy hair.  We do a 15 minute session every few days and eventually we have it cut down to where we want him.  Today's cutting took off a lot of the obvious overgrowth but the legs and underbelly need attention.  He almost looks like a cartoon character while we trim him a little each day.  Sometime his head is small compared to the rest of his body and like today he has a chest full of hair still hanging that makes him look funny.  Tomorrow we will maybe hit it again.  I will hold him tomorrow and my wife can do some work on him. He is a spoiled child and we handle him a carefully as possible so he won't wiggle out of our arms.  He dances on a table to keep us from clipping him.

I sense that we may be in the bookstore this afternoon for a while.  We got out yesterday for the neighbor lady and today we want to get out for ourselves.  We have a couple of purchases yet to get as we head to Des Moines. It should be a fun afternoon.   Thanks for checking in on all that we are or are not doing.  I appreciate having you stop by each day.

4 comments:

Patsy said...

What did you get at the book store? I went to the library yesterday for the first time this year. I do the e-reader online but miss holding a real book.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good to hear that you got some rain! I can only imagine Button as his grooming progresses:)

Anonymous said...

That is the way we trim our dog. In stages...she tires us out wiggling!
Your coneflowers are so nice. I like the finial at the gate area too.
Hope you both enjoyed your outing today.
Hopefully you are gaining your strength each day.
Enjoy the weekend.

troutbirder said...

We're still in a dry phase so send a little rain further north. Still I don't have to mow ever 5 days as a month ago...:)