Monday, April 18, 2011

Working with the greens inside......


It is time to transplant these tomatoes to a larger container when they start to look like this.  I have Roma and Beefsteak tomato plants in here.


Wally mart was trying to unload these trays that were suppose to be used for Christmas balls.  For a dollar I bought one and took off the lid.  I thought I could fill it deep with soil and they could root down into those round indents.


Here they are after being transferred to the new container.  They look a little drunk but in a couple of days they will be standing up straight. I will retake it when it looks better.

They look straighter this morning but will wait to photograph them.


Della and I took two violets that were crowded and created five plants from them.  I know it sets them back for a little while but they couldn't stay crowded up in multiples.

I also put seed in a container for cilantro, dill, peppers, and basil.  It is old seed that I thought would still be good so I tried to start some of it.

Thanks for stopping by..........Monday looks like it will be dry again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

John loves Roma tomatoes in his salads. I love the "tray" you created for the seedlings.
Hearing about you and Della dividing the violets brings back sweet memories. Mama and my youngest nephew would often put a piece of violet in a pot of dirt. A few weeks later, he would shout: Grandma, we got babies!!!
I love the fragrance of the herbs you have planted. Sweet basil smells wonderful!
Good luck with all the plantings!

Far Side of Fifty said...

You can plant those tomatoes deep..they just need sun :)

Debbie Lo said...

Tom and I have often thought of starting some of our veggies indoors, but haven't got around to it yet. Thanks for your photos, Larry, because now we see how easy it is to do.

Our biggest fear is that our cats will eat the plants. We have a 3rd bedroom we could grow the plants in, but it's the room farthest from our furnace, and is always 5 degrees colder than the rest of the bedrooms. I wonder if tomato and carrot plants would do OK in that environment?