The wind is strong and the boards are starting to dry ot after being soaked for so many days. I may get an old broom out there and sweep off the excess to help it dry. We got almost two inches of rain again from the all day wet day yesterday.
I have started two different projects for today. I sanded off my Grandma Brooks' walnut table and put the first coat of finish on it. I work on it to do projects and I had paint spots and it and scratches too. It has been quite a while since I refinished it. I should have done the job before I moved it to the newer home but time was not available for that.
The other project that I worked on is another of Grandma Brooks' items. My Grandma went to an auction with neighbors at Humeston, Iowa. Fred the neighbor guy was toldby my Grandma to bid on this and she said she would pay a quarter for it. Fred won the bid for twenty-five cents. I damaged this with a plant not knowing that it was leaking onto it. I hate that when it happens. Water and wood furniture don't get along together well.
I started to hand sand it and that was really not working. Water stains are deep and these stains were very black.
The hand sanding showed that there was actually wood grain showing so I used the power sander on it. I took it out on the patio and worked on it for a while.
It isn't ever going to look perfect as all the glue joints have come loose but this does look a lot better.
I found some older stain to use on this and I did not like what it looked like. I took a rag and wiped it off leaving a good stain to the wood.
I am not happy with the end result. The darker stain in the middle needs to go. I will revisit this tomorrow.
Tomorrow I will steel wool this and give it a second coat. I may use stripper on the small stand to get rid of the brown spot. Projects don't always work out well.
Thanks for stopping by today.