Thursday, August 18, 2011

Old jars and old stuff.......



While helping to clean out an old garage down on the farm, I had to bring home some more dirty old bottles, a Fire King coffee mug, a stopper, and a black glass door knob.  These have all had one soaking in a bucket of water.  The clear bottle and the gray blue bottle are the ones I am really interested in so I really cleaned them up first in the kitchen sink.














The clear bottle had it's contents still in the bottle with no lid.  I don't have a clue what it was but it was gummy or clay-like in texture as I soaked it and shook it out of the bottle.  The black door knob is useless but I liked the black shine of the glass shape.  We have white glass door knobs on our doors upstairs.



















I have not succeed in removing the lid from the gray blue bottle.  It is fascinating and it appears to be an older bottle.  I could be wrong.



I will have to find my small bottle brush to clean the insides, as shaking it wildly with soapy water does not seem to faze it.  The lid will have to come off without breaking the bottle lip.



With sudsy water in it you can barely see the bottom of the jar with the star design.


Here is a better view of the star.  I will be interested to see if anyone knows what product was sold in it.  As you view the lid you can see there is a small opening in it as if it had a small spout on it,  like the barbers of old who had ones that they shook hair tonic on your hair to make it shine.

Thanks again for stopping by.......I keep getting junkier and junkier in my material but I figure I have over exposed you to flower close up shots.

4 comments:

Linda said...

These are real finds, Larry. Perhaps a career in antiques restoration beckons?

Alan Burnett said...

I always love your bottle posts Larry. You have the ability to enthuse me - I always want to go out in search of old bottles after reading your posts.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What grand old bottles, and all cleaned up nicely.
We happened across some old bottles just last week, and now they sit above my daughters kitchen sink.
Like stepping back in time.
~Jo

Far Side of Fifty said...

I was thinking something in the barber shop too..I hope you find out! Great finds:)