Sunday, September 4, 2011

Photo parade.........


I have a new blogger friend in Canada who likes to make lists.  I admire his ability to find new creative ways to share things about himself through his lists.

Me, I have coffee cups to show.  It is a rainy day all day Saturday and one mug of Joe is very soothing.  The above cup was an end of the summer sale mug I purchased at Target.


I haven't visited Grand Marais for over five years and that is sad.  I do have a mug from up on the North Shore of Lake Superior.


A cheap mug  that I have from a five and dime.  It can't cost over two bucks or I don't pick it up.  I had this one at school when I was still teaching full time and it would cheer me up when the crowds were getting to be too much.


This is a cup and saucer from one of our favorite garage sale finds.  It was a ten dollar box full of a complete set of dishes.  We use these dishes a lot of the time even though we have three or four sets that we rotate through. This set seems to be a favorite.


An antique cup from my wife's Aunt Irene, it was the cup she used to fill her canning jars or jelly jars as she preserved food for the winter.  I don't think she had done canning for so many years before she passed away, but the memory was there for her and she wanted my wife to have it to help make grape jelly.


A gift from my wife a few years back, this mug is one of my favorites as it  holds lots of coffee in the morning. The rooster is trying to crow to wake me up.


In one of my weaker moments I paid a lot of money, it was a mistake, to purchase the cup and saucer.  I had a matching plate that I had bought for a dollar at a garage sale and thought it be good to have the set to go with it. It is my first ebay trophy purchase and probably my last ebay purchase. It is an English product that you can find for sale in Canada and throughout the U. S.


Those of you who have followed me for a few years know that I have oh so many more mugs and cups. I just decided to stop with this one.  This was another Grand Marais, Minnesota purchase a few years back.  Since we have been cleaning out my parents house of stuff we stopped buy things.  I haven't and probably won't buy any more mugs.  I have decided that I have my complete collection now, except if it is free or I find it in the dump.

I actually went off coffee for a few days back in May and discovered that I don't like it as much as I had in the past.  I really have reduced my consumption a lot and really find it is a better life for me.  I do like a good cup at the bookstore once in awhile but I do just drink less of it now. I don't drag coffee with me when I work at school like I use to.  I found that I was carrying a mug in my hand all day when I was teaching. It was a sign I needed to quit teaching.

I hope your weekend it what you wanted it to be.  We had no plans so the rain all day Saturday didn't ruin our day.  We will be at church today and may hit the bookstore in the afternoon for a little browsing among the volumes.

Thanks for stopping by..........

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your coffee mugs Larry. That is a sweet story of Della's Aunt. Due to reflux, I have cut way back on coffee also. I do admit that I LOVE McDonald's mocha frappe though!

The Musical Gardener said...

Thank you for the kind mention of my lists in your blog.

Actually today is the last of those particular lists, as I have reached my half century mark. The lists were just a lead up to the event.

I love how people's minds work in coming up with blogging ideas. I look at our mug cupboard and see a hodgepodge that I'd like to donate to Goodwill. You on the other hand value each one, for the story behind it.

I need to approach some of the other 'hodgepodge' areas of my life and see what treasures I can glean and share with my readers.

Maria said...

The white w/ pink on the rim and 4 pastel flowers cup and saucer is my favorite! Thanks for sharing these wonderful items from your collection.

Linda said...

What an incredible variety of mugs there must be across the world. Human creativity knows no bounds! This is a really nice idea for a post. I'll post a few of my favourites soon, but for the moment I'm in a backlog of photos from the summer.

David - Pinewood Cottage said...

I liked the rich brown mug when i first saw it, then i really enjoyed the family tie.

I wish we were closer - i have a framing job vision i want to pull off - and don't know that my local shop is up to it. we will see. it's going to take an artist's touch.

have a great weekend.

Kris said...

Love that first mug best of all - I'm a sucker for that 'green apple' color inside. I make my coffee half caf & half decaf which allows me to sit and sip a lot longer in the morning. I do my best thinking with a hot mug in my hands. Sorry you've gone 'off' coffee. Have you switched to tea to sip?

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I enjoy seeing all of your different cups and mugs, you have quite a collection...
I must admit, out of all these today, I dearly love the English cup and saucer, it speaks to me :)
Hope you are enjoying your long weekend !
~Jo

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice collection of mugs, Larry. A good mug is so important when having that first cup of coffee in the morning, which is usually my only cup. But it sure does taste wonderful. Too bad about the rainy weekend. We're spending the holiday in NJ visiting family and friends and it will be raining by the time we head home on Tues.

Far Side of Fifty said...

only free or at the dump..you must be serious about stopping this collection! I enjoyed it..and each mug has a story:)