Monday, August 4, 2014

First Day of the Week........


I am using fertilizer this year and it really does pay to do so.  It seems that when you get into the rut of just giving them water that it is a mistake. I now realize that the fertilizer gives the plants a real boost in growth.  I now carry watering cans of water over to two of the beds every three days to keep them alive.  We are dry now and need some rain.



Here is another shot of my two dollar rose.  It seems to be struggling where I planted it.  I decided not to get to anxious about moving it as I guess it just needs time to grow in the ground.  The roots in the plastic bucket were pretty confined and I think that when it is done growning the roots it will use energy for buds.

I have planted hostas next to my two roses and it will look good next year when they all come up at the same time.  I may plant lilies, move them, in the area of this new garden area in the next few days.



I turned the corner at a house a few blocks away from me and I notice their phlox patch was filled with three or four different colors.  I can tell from my own phlox that they are seeding out new plants and they are putting up different colors of flowers.






I really like the white phlox that came up next to my pond.  It is volunteer but I really don't like where it is growing. I will leave it alone for now in hopes that it will seed out to new areas.  I don't know who I am fooling as I have a garden that is more country in style and there are few areas that have any plan or planting scheme. Everything except for the hostas grow where they may.








The lavender flowers seem to look like they are a washed out version of a stronger color.  I like them though and really don't remember what was the color of the parent plant.
I remember buying years ago a multicolored phlox and I guess these are all off spring of the original. I don't have the original anymore.








The one batch of phlox are wrapped with a woven wire fencing material as it always seemed to fall down.  I would mow into them when the fall as I was too lazy to hold them out of the way when going by them.











I don't have a definite plan of doing things today but I will take advantage of the mosquito free area today.  They sprayed over the weekend and it does take them out for a few days.  Mowing the yard was on my list but I won't know until I get out there to see how tall that it is.  We are going into the summer stage of our yards where the grass has thinned out now and really isn't growing very much.

I have dirt to move from my new fence area and I need to start planning that garden area.  I have thoughts about moving some privet bushes to another location while they are still small in size.  The guy who helped me cut down the dead redbud tree told me he hated privets because they smelled so badly.  I have never smelled anything from that kind of shrub so I will continue to enjoy mine. He also would trim the heck out of my Minnesota birch.  I am sure he would like it to look like a palm tree like all the trees in his yard appear to be trimmed to be like.

 The sun is shinning this morning and it will warm up to the mid 80's by afternoon.  We are not cooling off much now in the night. Spotty rain is predicted throughout the week. The major plan is to enjoy the week by not going to work this week. As you can see my blogging times have moved back to morning again which puts a lot of you reading my blog a day late. Whenever you read and see my blog, it doesn't matter.  I appreciate you checking in on me and reading some of my stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your phlox. We always had mildew on our phlox.
One time John drastically trimmed our birch tree and I was just sick. I loved it the way it was, naturally.
Our yard here is already a hodge podge. We basically bought what was left at the garden center due to it being almost June when we moved in. So far, everything is doing ok, but rain would be welcome.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your Coneflowers are lovely as is the Phlox, I so enjoy the smell of Phlox. Good to hear that you had a nice visit, I know you don't see them often:(