Wednesday, November 11, 2009

New window work.....

It still isn't a very pretty site. I live in a very old house and when I start to tear it apart, it looks like I live in the slums.



Having torn out the window, I am getting ready to enlarge the opening for the new window. My wife suggested we rethink the orientation of the window. We were going to put it in at a horizontal, but once we saw the empty opening it became clear that the new one should stay vertical. It was a good thing as I was about to get into some wiring if I had tried to cut into the left side.



The original window was just like the one above it. You can see the boarded up area that the previous owner had filled in to add a 60's window.  As you can see, they didn't bother to align the newer window opening with the one above.



While I worked at first I kept a sheet over the opening, but here I am ready to get out the reciprocating saw and start cutting things appart.  The wood is stained from the old tar sheeting that was used 100 years ago. Notice how the sheeting boards vary in sizes of two narrow boards then one large, then two again, yet there isn't a regular pattern.



As I was tearing out, I noticed the blown in insulation looked pretty good. They use to drill holes into the walls and blow in shredded newspaper into the empty cavities of the house.


But when I kept tearing away, I see that it has settled so the insulation is only working half way up the wall, as seen below. I filled that up later with modern insulation before I closed it up.



Noticed the two vertical board, studs, that help to hold up the wall. I suspect that the one of them extends all the way to the top of the house, as it has what is called balloon framing. The studs go from floor to the top of the house, not divided into two floors. Because of that, I had to put in a large header, so my house wouldn't fall down. It was a lot of work, more than I intended to do, but it was the right thing to do.




So here is the new header. Everything gets shimmed in to make sure all of the weight of all the vertical studs are bearing down on the beam. After that I had to insulate and put reused old sheeting back on to make everything level, ready for the window.




So here is the new window. It still looks like I put a new window in an old log cabin. Tyvek went on today, I have the trim around the window, primed and in place and tomorrow, I start putting on new siding. I will replace all of the siding and bring it up to the quality of the other three sides of the house. I won't show any more for awhile until it looks less slummy.
I am really glad we put the window in as a vertical as it looks wonderful from inside the room. I will have a lot of work to do on the inside with new drywall and trim on the inside wall. All will be done in time. Thanks for reading...

I am trying out the new choice of settings that blogspot is offering.  I am not at all comfortable with it but maybe I will eventually like it.  It was hard to figure out but I think I can handle it.  We will see if this blog will look any better.
Can you read this ok now?????


5 comments:

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Man, that's a lot of work. I had two doors replaced last spring. I don't envy you doing it yourself. That sort of work, I let the handymen handle it.

Kris said...

Holy cow, Larry, that is a TON of work! I can do some carpentry, but when it comes to support structures, etc. I call the pros. I like the vertical alignment on the window - carries the eye upwards and makes the opening look taller and more impressive. I admire your tenacity on the project.

Haha, now I'm laughing at the really teeny small print at the end of your post... I had to blow it up to read it. 8-)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Larry, That small print at the end really sucks for us old people!
You are doing great with the window project..the header looks great and it looks to me like you are doing a bang up job!! We have done lots of our own carpentry over the years in lots of old houses..we have learned how not to do lots of stuff. Sounds like you had a plan, and that new window should be a big improvement..plus then you can use that pink house wrap..I think that really helps too.
I bet you are tired, but at least the weather is cooperating..we had 50 some degrees today!! :)

Kris said...

ROFL -- easy to read now, Larry. WAY easier than the vision test for my driver's license renewal yesterday. 8-D

The Retired One said...

I can so relate to all of your challenges with your older house, we are renovating TWO older houses now.
The new window looks fantastic!

I like the bigger print too...it is much easier on the eyes!!