Tuesday, December 7, 2010

It is time..............


We spent the day in Osceola so there is no energy left to put up a tree.  I did bring up my wife's tree for her angel ornaments and that will go up in the morning.   Tree number one.

The little guys up above are a gift that I got for Christmas so they will be up on my glass blown ornament tree.  The tree has been brought up from the basement too but I don't think I will get to it for another day. 



On a more mundane theme, I brought home the meat tenderizer.  It is old and I need to clean up the rust on it.  I can still hear my mom pounding pork tenderloins with this thing.  It was always loud and the flour would be flying in the air.  She was an extreme cook and put all her energy into it.  I can still hear her banging her rolling pin down on the counter as she made pie crust.  Why,  I don't know.

Thanks for stopping by............

3 comments:

Linda said...

An extreme cook. That made me laugh, even tho I have a cold and am feeling miserable. I thought of Bill Bryson's books (a native of Des Moines) and his descriptions of his mother, who was also an extreme cook, but on the charred side of things. Also farmers' wives called Mabel who made vast 1950's concotions such as 'pineapple and cheese wiz upside down meat loaf'. Do you think it's something Iowa women learn in girlhood?

L. D. said...

It certainly was a family thing. My grandmother and my mother thought that the heat on the cooking stove should only be at one setting and that would be high. Both of them cooked things at the highest setting for everything and neither ever turned down the heat to get a slight simmer. All meat was burned to a crisp to be sure it was done. Rare meat would never make it to the table.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Maybe they just didn't like cooking. Isn't it wonderful you can still hear the sounds of a pie crust being rolled out..perhaps you are just hungry for pie:)