Monday, December 6, 2010

Sorting old photos......


Knowing that we need to put up a Christmas tree in the dining room window and a Christmas village on the buffet, I cleaned up my family photo mess.

It took most of the afternoon and as I sorted I kept finding new things.  I have categories like Dad's war photos, mom and dad's early years, two piles of each parents side of the family, nieces and nephews, and our own last few years of my wife's family and the boy's growing up.   

Most of these are the ones that I brought from my parent's house so they are in no particular order. Some are pictures that were on three different funeral posters for the funerals the past few years.  Also included are all the old family tree papers that people have given to both my mom's side and my dad's side.  I found one paper that tells me more that I can imagine about my dad's side of the family.

One other thing that excited me today was I found a letter that was sent to my mom.  It was from a Maxson woman but she didn't sign it or I lost the last page.  She was related to my great grandmother mother's side.   The thing that was so great about the letter is that she had been relative hunting at a few cemeteries and told in the letter of all that she had found. 

The one piece of information we have all been looking for was where our great grandmother's first husband was buried.  He had died when my grandfather Brown was three years old.  I found in the letter that Charles Brown is buried in Cuba, Illinois along with a lot of Maxson's and others that I assume are related but have yet to figure that out. I am thinking that his father and mother are buried there also but I will have to go back and study it all again. That would be my great great grandparents. On the first reading, I knew I had hit the jackpot.

This sounds like my Sepia Saturday post, but actually is just my reporting in on what I did today.  I sorted tools all morning and pictures all afternoon.  I was too tired to clean the room but that will come next.

It is time to get some trees up and you will hear all about it.  Thanks for stopping in.......


1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sounds like you found some exciting stuff! A good after Christmas project:)