Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4th on a Monday..............


Life has been too busy for me to take time to buy any plants.  It seems too late but yesterday I picked up one of the sets of plants of the Wave petunia.  They had dropped the price to two bucks so I was happy to try them out.  I use to sell them when I worked a summer for a nursery.  I know that they need to be fertilized a lot to get them to really grow and create many blooms. I bought a pure white one to add in the center of the pot that I am going to put them.  


These lilies are all buds at night then they bloom the next day.  They shrivel up immediately in the evening and then a new batch opens the next day.  They are the closest thing to a true day lily that I have.  A lot of my other lilies' blooms stay around for a few days.


I have kept this plant through two winters now.  I need to amend the soil or maybe repot it  but it just keeps blooming for me. The camera picks up yellows that are reflections of light as it is a pure deep red colored geranium.

Thanks for stopping by.........

5 comments:

Gary said...

Larry,

Hope you guys are having a great 4th of July. Really enjoyed seeing the new blog header picture, I remembered your post about finding “kitty” napping in the saw case.

Thanks for the info on the Wave Petunia. I never knew that they required fertilizing, will be heading out to “feed” my petunia pots shortly. – G

Far Side of Fifty said...

That wave petunia will do great..yes they are heavy feeders. My Day lilies will bloom in a couple of weeks. Yours are very pretty:)

Debbie Lo said...

Wow, 2 bucks for your petunias! Great deal! I love flowers on sale.

Really nice colors, Larry. Your gardens are just lovely.

Linda said...

Happy 4th of July, Larry. That's a great celebratory collection of zingy flowers for the day.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Larry, hope you had a lovely holiday celebration, over now until next year. The cat in the header sure looks at home in a tool case(?). I have never had any luck with wave petunias, and at $2 you got quite a bargain!