Saturday, February 18, 2012

Plant doctor.........


I had a few plants in different planters that were the survivors from funeral arrangements of the past. Most of the plants in each planter, died, but one lone survivor was joined with another two survivors. New soil and a good trimming of dead leaves made them look a little more healthy.  I fertilized and watered well and put them into a sunny spot for revival.






I placed some soil into a plastic storage bin, I won't use the lid, and started taking leaves from my violets. I didn't have violet potting soil but this product looks like it will work just fine.











I took slips from my red African violet that has plain smooth petals.  It was so healthy that you really can't tell that I trimmed them off of the mother plant.








My red ruffle-leafed violet seemed a little wimpy.  It is alive and well but I didn't take very may slips from it. I took two from it and the rest are variegated violets.  I didn't take any starts of the single old fashioned purple violet ones as I have too many of them.  I plan to start giving some of those away to good caretakers of plants.






Since the doctor had his sharp knife already dirty, surgery was done on one deformed violet.  I separated the violet into one new plant and the remaining parent plant.  The main plant is still very deformed and I am not sure if it will ever become a good shape.













I think this plant will have to be divided again in another year, giving me two plants.  I will just water it a let it grow to see what it will become.








We had a busy morning with two different people dropping off special items to be framed.  They will be fun to frame but are not your normal kind of frame jobs.  One of them is a piece of window glass with a Sylvania emblem attached to it.  The sticker was an ad from the fourties and I am going to frame it to protect it and to also show it off.

Thanks for stopping by my post.  I am sure my regular readers are breathing a sigh of relief today.  I have whined about getting new violets started for three months.  No more whining, at least about that anyway.  As my friend Claude in France says,  "Ah, tomorrow!"





3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have a green thumb when it comes to Violets..you could start your own business:)

Anonymous said...

My dear mom loved violets and often started slips just like you. Karen's oldest son was just a little boy and called them "babies."
Hope you'll share the frame project you mention. That sounds very unique and interesting.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am a random visitor, but I've been trying and trying to find out the name of the plant in the top photo. Do you know what it's called? We have one in my workplace that I have recently been put in charge of watering. What I found is that when you let a dead leaf go, it forms a sort of cocoon and after a few days some little berries begin to show. It is the weirdest thing! Thanks. :)

-Kate