Saturday, June 2, 2018

Saturday has Started....


Vining honeysuckle puts out a great show of color all summer.  It will rebloom throughout the season.


The buttercups that are planted around the peonies were looking dead yesterday afternoon.  They have suffered from this dust bowl heat that we have been experiencing. I watered twice yesterday afternoon and then again evening.  Fortunately this morning it is raining.  WE were still sitting at 85 degrees F. last night at 11:00 when I took Barney outside.  Hopefully this rain will keep our today’s temps. lower.  I do think the watering and the rain has brought the back.  The peonies are not so lucky as they perished in the heat for good.  The stray bud may come out but all these days of heat has ruined them.

This is the way I like to water things.  I am watching water running down the window from the morning rain.  Our dead-looking grass is green again.














I worked at the farm yesterday morning.  I had a stock tank sunk into the ground about a foot and I used it for a fish pond.  I needed to pump the water out of it and the rotted leaves were lifted out by a rake.  I loosened the soil around the trough and on the second try I was able to lift it right out of their. I still have a hole to fill with dirt but then I will be through with that job.  My neighbor is going to take the trough and put fish in it also.  I dug peonies again yesterday trying to find the old fashion ones for the new place.  I dug one clump from this old fashioned white plant.  I also brought a section from an old fashion pink.  I had saved a peony from my wife’s home farm and that I did dig for another rescue to the new house.

This white peony is just not the same as the one shown in the above photo. That is why I wanted to get the old fashion one moved to the new garden.








The seed eaters are also bug eaters. The dove is checking out the things moving in the grass find things to eat.

Our high today will be 77 degrees F. so we will have better weather.  Thank you for stopping by today.

No comments: