Monday, August 17, 2026

Monday's Mention


 


 Our newly hatched birds are this male and female cardinals. The fluffy feathers is a clue that says they are still growing out their feathers. I  would hop that they hatched more than two so we will be watching to see if there are more. 


 There are goldfinches out there but I am not getting any good shots yet from me. There were three of them out working my sunflower patches and I do see them. I just need to get my camera out and stand and wait for a shot. We saw a female finch on the seed sock this morning and it isn't as yellow as the males. 


 I had forgotten how the hummingbirds like the sunflowers. I was out checking the yard to see if it was dry enough for mowing and three different birds were humming around my head.  The flowers are d maturing and there are new blooms too. When the seed gets to be more mature the goldfinches will be really working the flowers. 


 We woke up to cool temps this morning and the grass was wet with dew. I had to wait to mow until late this morning. To keep busy I went ahead and dug up iris along the back fence. They are so wet that I will have to lay them out in the sun just to get the dirt off of them. With all the rain in the area it is a extremely wet. There really was originally a creek bed going through there but it has been tiled out to help stop the flooding. It is like an underground creek with grills along the way to catch water from the rainfall. We live on a re-engineered corn field hill with a low water line at the back of the house. 

The mowing is now done. The front yard that I mowed on Saturday was so tall that i had to fight it clogging continually. The back yard  was not so tall but it was a little bit slow moving to get it done.  I could have collected the grass but it would have been too much to store. A neighbor up the street was using a broom on his grass after he mowed it, to take off excess grass.   After two years of drought in the past it is a welcomed problem to have too much grass. 

Thanks for stopping by today.  

No comments: