Monday, May 4, 2009

Doris and Zella.....

My cousin sent this to me a while back and I really hadn't taken time to look at it. It is a marvelous picture done in a photo booth. The more I look at the photo and the painted background I suppose it may not have been in a booth. My mom is on the right and my dad's sister, Doris, is on the left. I am thinking that my mom has been married and that Doris is her sister-in-law at the time. The photo is taken around the 1940's. Mom and dad married and then a year later dad was drafted into the army. Mom had her first child 10 months after they were married and when dad was gone her 5 sister-in-laws were so good to her helping her with everything. She talked about that in her later years as how nice they had been to her.
My mom's name is unusual. Her grandmother had the name of Zella incorporated in it somewhere and her mother's name was Mabel Zella.
The photo shows the times of the century with short curly hair, it had been bobbed when she graduated from high school. The red lipstick was characteristic and they both have good smooth white skin. Doris was always well groomed and her eyebrows were always plucked to perfection up to the day that she died many years later. Doris had two children, a boy and a girl, and my mom had the four boys.
The total ten children in my dad's family are all gone now. The spouses of that family are also now all gone. My mom was the last of that whole clan to pass away this last year. It seems strange now to look back and remember all of the families and the lives from those families that have continue on to this day. It is strange to be older in age now than those two young women in the photo. It is a good memory though. Thanks for reading....

No comments: