Thursday, May 21, 2009

Spirea bushes......


My neighbor Mike back in the seventies had a beautiful hedge of spirea in his backyard. The original owner had landscaped his property in the forties with special fish pond and planned design. Well, Mike was a banker and he didn't like that the hedge was not directly aligned behind his garage. The hedge actual sat a few feet off of the alignment to frame a vegetable garden behind the garage. Mike, thinking it was going to be easy, decided to move the entire fifteen foot long hedge back two feet. Needless to say, he was a physical mess and it took him two weekend days to pull it off. He had many starts or strays from his work and he gave them to me. It worked out well as I planted next to the house and put a row next to an old garage foundation. Every spring I am grateful that he moved his hedge. Poor guy, I thought I was going to call an ambulance for him, and 911 didn't exist back then.


I am amazed how this shrub can look dead until suddenly it just bursts forth. I can tell that I am going to need to take Clariton for awhile to get through their season of bloom.

When you do a close-up view of these bushes they really do look like rolling plains, landscapes of the foothills of Nebraska, or some sand dunes on the coast. Thanks for reading......

No comments: