Sunday, May 17, 2009

Flowers live, flowers die....


I have had this clematis growing on the front porch post for many years. It was planted with hostas at it's feet so it could remain moist. There also was a red peony at its base that helped to shade its base. With our rainy summer last year the excess water around the area must have caused it's roots to rot and die. It just rained every week all summer. It was an ideal spot for it except for one unusual summer. I am now going to rethink if I even want it there anymore. I don't like the dead looking vines that remain all winter so that it can bloom off of those canes, so it is a positive that I don't put one back there. I was planning to show you the dead plant but that is not good. I am just glad I have a great picture of it.
I lost a lot of iris because of our monsoon weather also but it won't stop me. I will regroup, rethink, and replant. That is what we crazy gardeners do. Thanks for reading....

1 comment:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I have one growing over the arbor, the very same color !
I planted it with antique white climbing roses, and it's looking gorgeous this year...
I feel the same way as you, don't really like the looks of the dead canes, and one year I had an idea to prune back to the ground, didn't know, anything about the next years growth, using them to bloom ...duh.
Lovely garden...it's looking grand :)