Monday, May 11, 2009

Painting in Minnesota......

I have decided that my garden friends are way out of my league. I can't believe how wonderful their gardens appear. My close-up photos of my plants make me look good but the big pictures of around my property shows things in sad shape compared to them. So I am posting about Minnesota today and showing three works that I have painted while there. This first one is a shore line of Lake Superior at the bottom end of the park of Split Rock lighthouse. It is always peaceful down there and the loons and seagulls keep us company. My wife and I have spent hours on these North Shores. The painting is done in pastel and it reminds me of my early years in college when we spent hours doing detailed drawing of textures. I sold this painting and miss having it in the gallery.
This next painting is a small study that was done closer to Grand Marais, Minnesota. It is near the Cascade Falls area. There is a nice park area there when you walk down the hill to the shoreline. The Lake Superior Hiking Trail goes through the area. The painting is in pastel and was photographed through glass so it isn't as clear. The painting style is loose though so it does have a blurred impression of the shore. There are a lot of wild flowers growing there in the spring and the chipmunks and waterfowl are busy. Take out your lunch and a seagull instantly appears from out of no where and watches you eat.







The last painting is done in acrylic paint. One balances the easel on the rocks and you sit on a camp stool to get the job done. The scene is so familiar as we have done so many paintings in the same area. It is fun to visit with people when they walk by and we usually have our white poodle somewhere by our feet in the shade keeping an eye on us.

4 comments:

Lonne Mann said...

The "Brave New World" picture is lovely. Are you trying for a slightly naivistic style? Anyhow, I like the simplicity and clarity of your work.

Lonne Mann said...

The "Brave New World" picture is lovely. Are you trying for a slightly naivistic style? Anyhow, I like the simplicity and clarity of your work.

L. D. said...

Thank you. I have taught for years and for some reason this style just happened. I like the modern shapes that causes your eye to move around in the painting. I like it so much that I don't want to sell it but in the future I want to sell prints of it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am sure your gardens are just fine, mine are and will be a bit weedy all summer. I never did go real hog wild about the manicured perfect look.. I am more of a free spirit when it comes to my gardens. I used to keep all the display gardens weedless..I should have taken more photos back then! :)