Thursday, May 28, 2009

Potentilla, Peony, and Pink dianthus (I think)...


Potentilla were very popular a few years back but they don't always like our weather. They don't like heat but will take it if they remain in moist soil. They don't die in the heat they just don't bloom. My white one is pretty but I have seen some neat orange potentilla.

















My old fashion peony bushes are just starting to bloom. They seem a little late this year but it makes the flowering season last longer.
I stole this glimpse from my neighbor's front sidewalk. I think it is a dianthus with the kind of foliage that it has on it. It does remind me of spring flowering phlox but it isn't phlox.
Spent the day at my late parent's home and went to the landfill for the first time. What a horrible place. It reminds me of driving into the depths of hell. It was wet and we had to back down a long winding hill so that we could drive back out. My folks didn't like to throw things away, and we will be revisiting the landfill again. I have a neat chest of drawers that I want to show you tomorrow. Thanks for reading....

3 comments:

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I love the peony, I'd love a pink one like that. Mine should be blooming soon, can't wait.

Erin said...

That looks like Dianthus...strange leaves, though, but the flowers look like Dianthus. And I've seen many of those Potenillas around Beaverdale and had no idea what they were - they're very pretty, but now that I know they don't enjoy Iowa summers, I won't be getting them. Thanks!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Very pretty peony, That is definately a Dianthus..a perennial one with such wonderful blue/green foliage! There are lots of them out there in this same pink color..did you get a whiff of the clove like fragrance? An Orange Potentilla..take a photo , it sounds wonderful. We probably can't grow it here. I have a light pink Potentilla, "Pink Beauty" I think..it struggles:)